Board logo

Toughbooks--your opinions?
GasGasGas - 6/2/06 at 06:10 PM

I'm looking around at second hand Panasonic Toughbooks for my boiler breakdown fault guides etc. I'm looking @ toughbooks because it may get splashed & damp etc. on site. I see many cf27's that people seem to have upgraded from & as I only want it for docs & pdf's & maybe invoices on site,it seems good enough for me.

Who's used them and what should i be wary of please?

mark chandler - 6/2/06 at 06:25 PM

Save some money, IBM thinkpad 600 for around £50 - £100 will prove nigh on indestructable. They get sold with error codes, 192 etc, these point towards the CMOS battery which screws up the BIOS, cost pennies to replace.

Regards Mark

rayward - 6/2/06 at 06:34 PM

HI,

i;ve got a cf37, for auto diagnostic/garage work, also use it at work for programming on machinery etc, just ,make sure the battery is good(a new one will cost more than the laptop does), and try and get the bios password.

Ray

chriscook - 6/2/06 at 06:35 PM

Use toughbooks at work - we've not broken any of them yet and they get a hard life bouncing round in vehicles, even when they (the cars) are crashed into stuff.

Markp - 6/2/06 at 06:45 PM

we use the panasonic toughbook cf18 at british gas. I have dropped it, spilt water all over it and generally abused it for around 2 years now and it works very well, the printer is connected up to it with blue tooth

Mark

Daxrushv6 - 6/2/06 at 06:45 PM

I use a cf29 for plc programming in a sawmill, dropped, kicked you name it gets it and never fails nothing else in this league for strength and IP rating.

donut - 6/2/06 at 07:03 PM

Mark, where can you get toughbooks for 50 - 100 quid?

MikeR - 6/2/06 at 07:08 PM

The comments i've heard about toughbooks (never used them are)

tough,
slow,
expensive.

basically your money is going into making a toughbook not a fast laptop. If reliability is what you need, then this is for you. If you want cheap or fast then ....... look elsewhere.

rayward - 6/2/06 at 07:52 PM

i got mine from this guy on ebay, spot on service.

Link

Ray

MikeRJ - 6/2/06 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rayward
i got mine from this guy on ebay, spot on service.

Link

Ray

You sure it's a guy? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5467202624&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT />
He says in that auction "I ALREADY HAVE ONE, I HAVE NOT EVEN PUT IT ON!"

Rob Lane - 7/2/06 at 09:03 AM

34DD

Like to meet this lady but knowing my luck she would be a grandma