Board logo

rubber tube similar to firemans hose
peterriley2 - 10/10/06 at 04:34 PM

im looking for some firemans hose, or some similar rubber tubing for a project. it has to be able to withstand about 60 psi, so must be quite good quality. ill seal it at each end, so can be open ended. im trying to think of other uses there are for similar tubes, where i can get one from. it must be about 2m long (in one length), and if the same width of firemans hose, i need two of them.

ive thought of inner tube from cars, but it needs to be inflated in a line, so the curvature of a tire makes it not possible to use. i went to the local fire station and couldnt get any old hose with holes in it- they werent very helpful down there.
so if anyone has any ideas or knows where i could get some similar hose, id be very grateful!!

r3nuf - 10/10/06 at 04:40 PM

How about lay flat hose, supplied with site pumps and the like. Could try a local depot of SLD pumps or similar.
Or maybe HSS or speedy hire depot.

Cheers

Gary

Peteff - 10/10/06 at 04:44 PM

Yellow gas pipe or blue alkathene water pipe. Blanks and fittings are easily available and you find it lying round after builders leave site. Available in various widths up to about 300mm.

[Edited on 10/10/06 by Peteff]

gazza285 - 10/10/06 at 07:54 PM

I'll have a look at work tomorrow.

owelly - 10/10/06 at 08:28 PM

A lot of agricultural places have lay flat delivery hose and they sell it by the metre. If you are stuck, I can persuade a passing fire engine to lose a bit but the postage will be a bugger!!

peterriley2 - 10/10/06 at 11:09 PM

thanks for the good iseas, ill research them further tomorrow. cheers

Brooky - 11/10/06 at 03:52 PM

Try wessex fire service. They seem to sell everything.

gazza285 - 11/10/06 at 05:05 PM

I've "found" a five metre length at work, it's a little tatty but it doesn't leak. Where do you want it?

gazza285 - 11/3/07 at 02:34 AM

Sent it off, never found out what it was for............