Board logo

Smartphone advice
RichardK - 4/2/07 at 07:34 PM

hi there ive just been looking at some smartphones over on ebay and the model that caught my eye in particular was the orange SPV m600. It looks alright but the thing i wanted to know is that if its an ex-contract phone i.e the contract has run out would it work with a pay as you go orange/o2 sim? If not could any of you recommend to me some smartphones that you think are good and if you know of any decent suppliers that too would be good.

Cheers

Rich

scotmac - 4/2/07 at 07:40 PM

Have no idea about UK providers, but i have had a Treo for as long they have been available. Very good phones, great ergonomically, and the new ones have good processors, and pretty good amount of mem (get one w/ atleast 64m/64m).

I just installed TomTom on it (not very expensive on BitT, if you know what i mean), and it works great on it.

-Scot

JamJah - 4/2/07 at 07:44 PM

Another Treo 600/650 vote.
Just ditching my 600 (battery dying after 4 years) and long for the 650 (has a replaceable battery). have an ebay search set for one but money at the moment is tight but would have gone for it if i could.

jos - 4/2/07 at 08:42 PM

Yes it will work with an orange PAYG sim

It wont work with any other service providers sims until it is unlocked but i dont even know if that is possible.

Excellent phone, much better than the old O2 XDA Exec or other SP versions but if you want a decent keyboard I'd thoroughly reccomend the NOkia 9500

SixedUp - 4/2/07 at 09:24 PM

Sony Ericsson M600i is also worth a look. As for which is the best, it will very much depend on what you want it for ...
Cheers
Richard

caber - 4/2/07 at 11:20 PM

Another vote for Treo 650! I have a 2 gig chip in mine with tomtom ( legit!) and a bunch of music. I have set mine up as diary and address book that synchronises with my work diary and address book. I have a lot of other little bits of software and use it to browse Locostbuilders all be it slowly when stuck in a queue ( on foot not in car!) and do email. ~forget about ebay way too slow :-( It also is my alarm clock and note taker, the camera is so so but most the pics in my archive are from it.

Caber

G.Man - 5/2/07 at 06:34 AM

Nokia 9300i

The only smartphones with decent battery life are the nokias and its much easier to use than the MS based models...

[Edited on 5/2/07 by G.Man]

RichardK - 5/2/07 at 08:05 AM

ok thanks for all your replies