Board logo

Zetec Ignition
The Baron - 25/4/11 at 05:06 PM

I finally have my pinto to zetec conversion complete, and it runs.

I have what is apparently the usual 'occasional' backfire on start-up, as i have a older style zetec silvertop which suffered from sticking valves, but once it starts (and it starts with no problem) it ticks over really smoothly.

I am using a weber 32/36 dgas carb on one of those banger conversion plates, with a ESC ingnition module (the one with the red insert).

the only grumble is when i give it some throttle, the car hesitates before it revs (almost like a cough, but without the cough) once it catches up with itself, its fine. its almost as if the timing is slightly out!!!!

generally the enigne pulls like a train ( i replaced a 1600 pinto with a 1600 zetec) and is a million times smoother than my old pinto, so am very happy.

any ideas where i could look for the cause of the issue.

Cheers,

B

big_wasa - 25/4/11 at 05:18 PM

Have you connected up the vacuum pipe ?

austin man - 25/4/11 at 06:50 PM

I had a pair od 40's on mine and it too had a little bit of hesitation on the 40's it is something to do with the progression holes in the carbs. I used EDIS and a GEMS ECU so not a problem with setting the ignition timing

paulf - 25/4/11 at 08:40 PM

Its more likely to be the carb than the ignition, what is the carb from and did you jet it to suit the zetec?.
Paul

big_wasa - 28/4/11 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Its more likely to be the carb than the ignition, what is the carb from and did you jet it to suit the zetec?.
Paul

I was thinking of air leaks aswell.