Board logo

Fuel Pump Inlet
phoenix70 - 10/4/05 at 08:08 PM

Hi Guys,

I've got a external Fuel pump from a Sierra Cosworth, the problem is the inlet connector is too large, It is a screw-in part, but where would I get a smaller one, or should I get some bigger Fuel Pipe?

TIA

Scott

stevebubs - 10/4/05 at 11:46 PM

I've just finished plumbing in my pump today. I've used 12mm braided hose between the swirl pot and the pump, and 8mm from the pump to the fuel rail and back round.

zetec - 11/4/05 at 02:29 AM

Try a Vauxhall pump. 12mm in / 8mm outlet both pushfit held with clips.

NS Dev - 11/4/05 at 08:01 AM

Actually, try a peugeot 405 pump. I learnt a lesson this weekend racing! I used a vauxhall fitting bosch injection pump, and it failed, almost certainly due to dirt in it, mid race! I put out an appeal in the pits for another pump and a kind visiting racer lent me a pump, from a Peugeot 405, and I see this has a filter gauze built in to the inlet, unlike the vauxhall and ford spec ones!

RogerM - 11/4/05 at 10:14 AM

Good tip ....... thank you, was wondering what pump to buy!!

tks - 11/4/05 at 11:06 AM

as many can see in my pics section i use a fuel leversensor / pickup / return part in one..

it's from a BMW 635i 1980 etc..

its like a tube..and at the end it has very fine filter...

soow a inlet filter isn't nececcerry on a pump..

also i want to point that a blocked filter also cant do the job..

TKS

NS Dev - 11/4/05 at 11:43 AM

yes, my racer isn't a locost though (see my archive) and there is no room for an in-tank filter.

In fact, I have never run a pre-pump filter before and never had a problem, but the slightest bit of dirt will stop a bosch rollercell injection pump dead. I have a prefilter (opel manta gte's have one the right ize to fit in the feed line for the bosch injection pump) but have never used it.

I am not trying to stop a large amount of dirt, just the tiny particle that stopped my pump, and the gauze in the peugeot one is ideal, and avoids an extra filter. (as I don't know if you can even get the Opel one any more, doubt it!)