Board logo

odd engine choices for a se7en?
Jonte - 11/10/06 at 06:59 AM

sat here thinking what the strangest engine choice Iīve seen in a locost/seven. But I canīt think of any except BEC:s

What have you seen and thought about.
Maybe a diesel, turbine or a truck engine

ch1ll1 - 11/10/06 at 07:00 AM

2cv i think is a silly choice

donut - 11/10/06 at 07:41 AM

MG Midget 1275 turbo!!

smart51 - 11/10/06 at 07:53 AM

Given that locosts are light weight and inexpensive, I'd say anything that costs a lot or is very heavy.

Pintos are OK cause they come free with your donor car.

I'd add anything that is all torque and no power. Too much torque spins the wheels of a light weight car too much. Sevens are not at all aerodynamic and so you need a bit of power to keep them going at a half decent speed.

Cast iron non-turbo diesels would seem a poor choice.

Agriv8 - 11/10/06 at 08:23 AM

Rover V8 designed for moving 2 ton of range rover.

makes sense to me just because you can mentality - so a 27 liter merlin engine in an sd1 ?

regards

Agriv8

graememk - 11/10/06 at 09:34 AM

robinhood made a austin metro based 7 called the rhm1000

NS Dev - 11/10/06 at 09:50 AM

much as I'll be the first to criticise, it's all in good humour, and tbh is there such thing as a strange choice on here???

Its the one place in car-net-land where daft pillocks like us can do stupid things and no-one bats an eyelid!!!

NS Dev - 11/10/06 at 09:50 AM

how 'bout a supercharged lister D?

never seen one but it would definitely be odd!

scudderfish - 11/10/06 at 11:47 AM

How about that Rush with a gas turbine?

DavidM - 11/10/06 at 11:59 AM

There was a locost unfinished project with VW beetle running gear, on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

David

peterriley2 - 11/10/06 at 12:29 PM

if you check here, i think you'll find a turbine engine to be not such an odd choice!! but would it be a bec, or a tec (turbine engine car)????

Hellfire - 11/10/06 at 06:00 PM

Strangest engine choice I've ever seen has to be the one shown below. I think they're commonly referred to as Pintos

Anchor
Anchor

Jonte - 11/10/06 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peterriley2
if you check here, i think you'll find a turbine engine to be not such an odd choice!! but would it be a bec, or a tec (turbine engine car)????

actually itīs been up for discussion on our swedish locost forum
They are a bit expensive though

Mark Allanson - 11/10/06 at 06:56 PM

Better than those screamy buzzy delicate things with a lifespan of a butterfly with tuberculosis, a clutch smaller that a CD, parts more expensive that Faberge, fuel consumption cc for cc about the same as a trans atlantic cruise liner, initial costs more than my whole car and a whole years worth of fuel and the insurance.......

They arn't called bike engines for nothing, they belong in bikes

Signed 'A Pinto Owner'

Hellfire - 11/10/06 at 07:00 PM

Oooh. Did I touch a raw nerve?

Phil

DIY Si - 11/10/06 at 07:01 PM

He's just jealous, thats all!

dilley - 11/10/06 at 07:04 PM

dilley - 11/10/06 at 07:06 PM

But butterflies are beutifull

Mark Allanson - 11/10/06 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Oooh. Did I touch a raw nerve?

Phil

No, not at all, just a lazy car engine suits my needs, quick enough to scare any passenger, or to overtake almost anything anywhere, but easy on the brain and ear if I am on a long cruise, amazingly economical if out for a slow day out with my (scaredycat) mrs, but gets as low as 18mpg when seriously blatting.

Horses for courses

smart51 - 11/10/06 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
parts more expensive that Faberge,

I found yamaha parts to be cheaper than any tin top I've ever had (and a fraction of the cost of smart parts bought at a merc dealer

fuel consumption cc for cc about the same as a trans atlantic cruise liner,

I routinley get 30 MPG out of mine when driven hard, which is routine

initial costs more than my whole car

my engine, box, new clutch, wiring loom, instruments, carbs, new jetting needles all cost less than Ģ1000. Your car was a bargain

and the insurance.......

Ģ180 fully comp is cheaper than my smart

Signed 'A Pinto Owner'

ecsjwhi2 - 11/10/06 at 07:36 PM

A couple of years ago there was definitely a firm developing an electrically powered Tiger Cat.

Can't find any reference to it on the internet now.

Cheers
JohnW

[Edited on 11/10/06 by ecsjwhi2]

wilkingj - 11/10/06 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
regards Agriv8

Hmmm A history Lesson is in order here.

GM experimented with aluminum engines starting in the early 1950s, and work on a production unit commenced in 1956.

Although dropped by GM in 1963, in January 1965 the tooling for the aluminum engine was sold to Britain's Rover Group to become the Rover V8 engine and it was fitted it to the RoverP5(b), P6, and the Land / Range Rovers. It would remain in use for more than 35 years. GM tried to buy it back later on, but Rover declined, instead offering to sell engines back to GM. GM refused this offer.

However, originally it was standard equipment in the 1961 Buick Special and the Buick Special Skylark.
Oldsmobile and Pontiac also used the all-aluminum 215 on its mid-sized cars, the Oldsmobile F-85 and Pontiac Tempest.

It may be old, but its an excellent engine weighing in at only a few kgs more than a Pinto. Its got real Lazy power, and is an excellent and well proved engine.
Mine pulls 120+ Mph, I chickened out going any faster, 120 is good enough for me. Theroretically it should do approx 145mph.

Its doing 2800 Rpm at 70Mph, ie sensible cruising, and returns 25Mpg at 70 / 80mph on the motorway. Less in town though.
It will overtake most cars with consumate ease.

Its a cracking Boat Anchor

Browser - 11/10/06 at 10:43 PM

Worst thing about the Rover V8 is that Rover never did any serious deveopment work on the heads. If they'd come up with better ones they'dve probably got a lot more power out of it.
Odd choices? Mercedes 6 cyl? Triumph 6 cyl? 1750cc B series BL (Marina/Ital). Vauxhall 2.0l CIH from a mark1 Cavalier. I can't understand why when the Pinto ruled the roost the Vauxhall Carlton's in the scrappies weren't being raided as they had a rwd engine/gearbox combo which would've mad most kits of the 80's shift quite nicely. Back to the thread, any Saab motor (not heard of one being used but you never know). Jaguar XK or AJP. Can't think of any more at the mo.

caber - 11/10/06 at 11:06 PM

how about the Golf GTI 8 valve, the 16 valve theV6 or the G60?

All good long livede engines, the early ones are cheap if attached to a rust bucket and there are loads of tuning parts available. Also a real interesting challenge to turn them to drive a back axle!
caber

Jonte - 12/10/06 at 06:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by caber
how about the Golf GTI 8 valve, the 16 valve theV6 or the G60?

All good long livede engines, the early ones are cheap if attached to a rust bucket and there are loads of tuning parts available. Also a real interesting challenge to turn them to drive a back axle!
caber

yeah I wonder about that. How come thereīs never a VW, audi or Mercedes engine in a locost. Except in Donkervoorts of course.

Agriv8 - 12/10/06 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
regards Agriv8

Hmmm A history Lesson is in order here.

GM experimented with aluminum engines starting in the early 1950s, and work on a production unit commenced in 1956.

Although dropped by GM in 1963, in January 1965 the tooling for the aluminum engine was sold to Britain's Rover Group to become the Rover V8 engine and it was fitted it to the RoverP5(b), P6, and the Land / Range Rovers. It would remain in use for more than 35 years. GM tried to buy it back later on, but Rover declined, instead offering to sell engines back to GM. GM refused this offer.

However, originally it was standard equipment in the 1961 Buick Special and the Buick Special Skylark.
Oldsmobile and Pontiac also used the all-aluminum 215 on its mid-sized cars, the Oldsmobile F-85 and Pontiac Tempest.

It may be old, but its an excellent engine weighing in at only a few kgs more than a Pinto. Its got real Lazy power, and is an excellent and well proved engine.
Mine pulls 120+ Mph, I chickened out going any faster, 120 is good enough for me. Theroretically it should do approx 145mph.

Its doing 2800 Rpm at 70Mph, ie sensible cruising, and returns 25Mpg at 70 / 80mph on the motorway. Less in town though.
It will overtake most cars with consumate ease.

Its a cracking Boat Anchor

sorry my coments were toungue in cheek sorry if i caused offense. It was a genralisation about the rover dissing out the tourque

I must be rover v8 no 1 fan been rebuilding em / tinkering with em for far too many years to remeber.

Still don't get bored of em, yep they have there faults but I love em always have always will.

rebuilding rover v8 no 2 and enjoyeng every minute if it.

all the best agriv8

ChrisW - 13/10/06 at 02:23 AM

quote:

Don't fancy doing mine for me do you? I took the heads off ready to have the valve guides redone, and now I've no idea how it all goes back together!

Chris

Agriv8 - 13/10/06 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Don't fancy doing mine for me do you? I took the heads off ready to have the valve guides redone, and now I've no idea how it all goes back together!

Chris

YES send me your email address to me via U2U and I will send you the PDF of the rover Rebuild Manual ( lots of pictures to follow )

PS valve Guides I would go for a set of Bulleted from v8 Tunner. Not a job for at home unless you have a press I have just replaced mine on my heads bugger of a job even with all the correct equipment.

Regards.

Agriv8

akumabito - 13/10/06 at 12:18 PM

...Mazda rotary engine? Good power, not too heavy, revs like crazy... and it's not a bike engine!

ChrisW - 13/10/06 at 12:27 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Chris

YES send me your email address to me via U2U and I will send you the PDF of the rover Rebuild Manual ( lots of pictures to follow )

PS valve Guides I would go for a set of Bulleted from v8 Tunner. Not a job for at home unless you have a press I have just replaced mine on my heads bugger of a job even with all the correct equipment.

Regards.

Agriv8

Was intending to take the heads to Real Steel in Uxbridge, as they are only 10 mins away from my workshop and seem to have a reasonable reputation.

V8 rebuild manual would be useful though I'm sure. My address is my username (without the W) at locostbuilders.co.uk.

Cheers, Chris

Jonte - 13/10/06 at 12:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
...Mazda rotary engine? Good power, not too heavy, revs like crazy... and it's not a bike engine!

This locost in sweden is powerded by a mazda rotary engine. Goes like xxxxx

Agriv8 - 13/10/06 at 01:31 PM

Chris PDF sent.

any problems give me a shout.

regards

Agriv8

akumabito - 13/10/06 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jonte
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito

This locost in sweden is powerded by a mazda rotary engine. Goes like xxxxx

Looks sexy too!

iank - 13/10/06 at 02:28 PM

Seems to be a bit of a fashion for Ally cycle wings these days... I must admit they are growing on me.

akumabito - 13/10/06 at 03:32 PM

How 'bout those BMW V8's? I don't now how much they weigh (though they'd probably rival the Death Star), or how big they are (most likely ALSO similar to the Death Star), but they're good for about 300hp in stock form, the later models have 6-speed transmissions, and there's loads of 'm on e-bay for pretty decent prices..

Guinness - 13/10/06 at 03:57 PM

I have a 4.4l BMW V8 in my daily driver (yes I do get a personal Christmas card from the Saudi Government). Wouldn't like to weigh it, but I could run a tape measure over it if you want! It's attached to the ZF auto box with the silly 5 speed manual thingy. Wouldn't want to put it in the MK though!

Would be good on the drag strip though!

Mike

akumabito - 13/10/06 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I have a 4.4l BMW V8 in my daily driver (yes I do get a personal Christmas card from the Saudi Government). Wouldn't like to weigh it, but I could run a tape measure over it if you want! It's attached to the ZF auto box with the silly 5 speed manual thingy. Wouldn't want to put it in the MK though!

Would be good on the drag strip though!

Mike

Yeah sure, let's see how big that engine is..
I bet it's cast iron though and not nice ally, right?
Also: automatic transmission

Jonte - 13/10/06 at 06:30 PM

BMW V8 has been done here in sweden, way up north....
Itīs the silver and black you see in this photo in the link. i can try to get mor info if any1 wants

http://public.fotki.com/trackerswe/locost_trackday/imgp4087.html

[Edited on 13-10-06 by Jonte]

akumabito - 13/10/06 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jonte
BMW V8 has been done here in sweden, way up north....
Itīs the silver and black you see in this photo in the link. i can try to get mor info if any1 wants

http://public.fotki.com/trackerswe/locost_trackday/imgp4087.html

[Edited on 13-10-06 by Jonte]

...I guess that means it fits

I'd be interested in mor einformation. Especially engine sizes/wieght, total weight, performance/handling, etc.

Agriv8 - 13/10/06 at 11:15 PM

bmw did 2 alloy v8 didnt they ? one with the troublsome nilaski ( spelt wrong ) bores ok if you always use optimax i belive .

My money for v8 has to go on the alloy ls engines ls6 would be my choice.

regards agriv8

Simon - 14/10/06 at 12:14 AM

quote:
bmw did 2 alloy v8 didnt they ? one with the troublsome nilaski ( spelt wrong ) bores ok if you always use optimax i belive .

My money for v8 has to go on the alloy ls engines ls6 would be my choice.

regards agriv8

Didn't Jaguar also use the "nilaski" - with probs too?

ATB

Simon

Gav - 14/10/06 at 11:05 AM

You mean Nikasil? had my kawasaki KR-1S 2stroke replated once, umm 2 stroke oil umm

Agriv8 - 14/10/06 at 03:43 PM

cant spell it - cant say it either.

Nikasil i think one of the proca's had it fitted as well the one.

doesnt the sulpher we have/had in the fuel attack it or somthing ?

regards

Agriv8

Guinness - 14/10/06 at 04:43 PM

Wikipedia is your friend on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

Yeah, early BMW V8's (M60) had the nikasil liners, but they changed the design for the later engines (M62). Which was nice, cause that's what I got.

Anyone know off hand which manual gearboxes fit the V8?

Mike

akumabito - 14/10/06 at 06:55 PM

Gotta love Wikipedia..so I guess they are ally then. Well that is good news... I know BMW offered manual trannies on at least a couple of those cars..

Getrag transmission Wikipedia Article

akumabito - 15/10/06 at 04:45 PM

I've found this site on these BMW engines:
http://www.bmwworld.com/engines/m62.htm

It lists the weight at approximately 220kgs, but that seems a tad on the heavy side for an all aluminium engine?