Board logo

Calling All Type 9 Experts... HELP!
scootz - 30/4/07 at 01:24 PM

Right.. I've sold my box, but thought I'd change the seals before I sent it on it's way.

Big mistake!

3 small 'teeth' have popped out of the cog nearest the gearstick (no idea what its official title is). I can see the grooves that they have to go into and I can see that there is a sliding mechanism which envelopes the cog and holds them in place when closing the box.

The only problem is... how do I get all teeth to stay in place whilst I slide the casing shut?

They are spaced at a third distance each on the cog and as I revolve the cog to fit the next, the first one falls out... HELP!

saigonij - 30/4/07 at 01:51 PM

can you use a bit of grease to hold them in place?

stevec - 30/4/07 at 05:33 PM

The bits you are refering to are the syncro hub blocker plates, If you are having bother with these you may be putting the box together in the wrong sequence. They should be fully assembled and secure before the tail housing goes on, perhaps have another read of the manual to see if you have overlooked something.
Steve.

scootz - 1/5/07 at 09:58 AM

Manual... there's a manual? Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong. Does anyone know if there is any references online?

Wingnut - 1/5/07 at 12:29 PM

Not sure about online, but if you can find a haynes manual for a sierra, the type 9 is covered.

Hope this helps!

PeterW - 1/5/07 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Not sure about online, but if you can find a haynes manual for a sierra, the type 9 is covered.

Hope this helps!

Its only covered in the earlier books, as it was removed later as it wasn't deemed a user serviceable item.

Think Haynes did do a gearbox book though

Cheers

Peter

Trev Borg - 1/5/07 at 05:13 PM

would you like a copy?

scootz - 3/5/07 at 06:02 PM

I would indeed!

I take it the blockers are placed with the hollow edge facing down?

scootz - 5/5/07 at 02:21 PM

Anyone!