Board logo

Zetec Sump chop depth
GaryM - 28/5/08 at 08:38 AM

Can anyone give me an idea of the minimum depth a Zetec sump can be chopped to?

Cheers
Gary

big_wasa - 28/5/08 at 09:48 AM

From memory the pro silver-top sumps are around 160~165mm.

Paul TigerB6 - 28/5/08 at 10:12 AM

Probably not much point taking it much shallower than the bottom of your bellhousing unless you want to fit a skid plate under your sump.

02GF74 - 28/5/08 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Probably not much point taking it much shallower than the bottom of your bellhousing unless you want to fit a skid plate under your sump.

wise words indeed.

the belhousing will be closer to the mid-point of the wheelbase so is the limiting feature as far as break over angle goes.

mad4x4 - 28/5/08 at 11:21 AM

Outside of the Tiger cast one is about an3/4" higher than the bottom of the type 9 bell housing.

Paul TigerB6 - 28/5/08 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6

wise words indeed.

the belhousing will be closer to the mid-point of the wheelbase so is the limiting feature as far as break over angle goes.

Cheers matey. Only benefit is banging the bellhousing is probably a lot less bad than a holed sump. I'd rather fix a broken engine mount than replace a holed sump!! Personally i fitted my numberplate so that it sat at a slightly lower level than my sump so if i was going to hit it, it was the numberplate that went first. Lost a numberplate once but never hit my Zetec sump (from Dunnel).

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Paul TigerB6]

Ian D - 28/5/08 at 06:15 PM

Hers a picture of mine. Cut it off level on the shortest side and then infilled at the back. Checket the volume and there is a negligable loss. It was done by Avontech welding near Bristol. A god job which is oil tight. It also has a baffling system

Ian Rescued attachment Sump compressed.JPG
Rescued attachment Sump compressed.JPG

Ian D - 28/5/08 at 06:16 PM

try again Rescued attachment Sump compressed.JPG
Rescued attachment Sump compressed.JPG

Ian D - 28/5/08 at 06:17 PM

inside Rescued attachment Sump inside compressed.JPG
Rescued attachment Sump inside compressed.JPG

Ian D - 28/5/08 at 06:18 PM

again Rescued attachment Sump inside compressed.JPG
Rescued attachment Sump inside compressed.JPG