Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have they changed the law?
roadrunner

posted on 11/9/20 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Have they changed the law?

Have they changed the law regarding indicating on roundabouts.
It seems that I am the only driver using them.
If other drivers use them they get it wrong, ie when turning right they indicate right even when leaving the roundabout.
I have just waited for four BMW's all in a line and they all turned left without indicating.
I'm sure cueing times could be drastically reduced during busy periods if we all sort our crap out.
I looks like I am wasting my time and effort in flicking the stork.

Rant over.

Slimy38

posted on 11/9/20 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I'm the same, I feel like I'm the only one using my indicators on a roundabout. I grew up with an advert on the TV describing how to use indicators on a roundabout, I remember how to do it even though that advert was on the TV before I was even able to drive!!

It really doesn't help that some roundabouts are messed up though. I have one roundabout near home that is two lanes wide. If you exit northbound you are able to use both lanes to exit the roundabout, and only the right hand lane is used to continue round. But if you exit southbound, only one lane can be used to leave the roundabout, but both lanes are signposted to continue round the roundabout! Oh, and just for good measure, there's traffic lights on there too...

roadrunner

posted on 11/9/20 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Roundabouts are supposed to keep traffic flowing and they work very well until they stick traffic lights on them.
HA

big_wasa

posted on 11/9/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Try stopping upto 44tons for some dickhead to do the same
coyoteboy

posted on 11/9/20 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Generally speaking there are many many layouts of roundabouts but they all work the same way. And they should all be indicated the same way. However no-one follows the rules, and on dual exit roundabouts people in the left lane carry on past the exit and get into accidents with folk using the second exit lane ALL the time.

They're generally marked on the floor, but floor markings don't work - they're usually covered by cars, especially in heavy traffic.

If you're flicking a stork I'd be concerned, they're large birds and they get angry - that big beak can hurt. If you're flicking a stalk, I can see the frustration as no-one else does.

I am probably guilty of not always indicating if going right, but often I find this action confuses folk especially on smaller 2 lane roundabouts - I've a few small 'bouts near me and if indicating right, the time between flashes is comparable to the time between exits, meaning people see you indicating right, see the last flash right and head into the first lane just as you're flicking to left and planning to move into that lane but it's too late, they've seen your right indication and gone.

But in general, I hate the folk who don't indicate left as they exit, it's infuriating. But in reality, generally only loses me a couple of seconds on a 20 minute trip.

Bluemoon

posted on 11/9/20 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
BMW has a well-known fault that causes this

[Edited on 11/9/20 by Bluemoon]

steve m

posted on 11/9/20 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Bmw dont have indicators fitted as standard, its an option, and most owners go for the 19"wheels and black glass tints,

Joking aside, it is a very annoying trait of a lot of vehicles, not just Bmw's

I live just off a busy roundabout, and some times trying to get out and on to the roundabout can be tricky, as most cars going straight are doing 40 mph, and pretty well half the cars going left in front of me, also doing 30 ish, dont indicate

coupled with the idiots going right on the roundbout, but from the left lane,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 11/9/20 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
We also have one of those ridicules roundabouts with traffic lights all over, and round, with a bus lane going through the middle,
all entrance and exit roads are two lanes, but three lanes on the roundabout, to someone not a local to this setup, is a very difficult setup to master
coupled with idiots lane changing, and not indicating, as there not fitted,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 11/9/20 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Indicators tend to be useless on many cars these days - VAG cars are terrible (usually too small to be any use) unless it's one of their big autobahn cruisers, BMW Minis have their indicator in the middle of the red light circle so you can't see them when the driver is braking, and so on ad infinitum.

As said above in jest - indicators seem to be an optional extra these days... car design/fashion/styling seems more important than practicality and safety.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/9/20 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Driving bendy busses for years in the city which has loads of them taught me how to deal with roundabouts, I love them We were taught expect to go be prepared to stop... i.e. time it and floor it

I can honesty say I always use my indicators every single time without fail, mainly to control the traffic around me as they are great tools if used properly.

Funnily enough if you watch them (as you do when driving busses) one of the worst offenders are the police who rarely bother their arse to put them on.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 11/9/20 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you think roundabouts with traffic lights are bad have a look at the stupid Dutch round about in Cambridge. I was told by a Dutch guy they are no longer in favour in Holland
nick205

posted on 11/9/20 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
BMW has a well-known fault that causes this

[Edited on 11/9/20 by Bluemoon]

Oh how you make me chuckle

No doubt BMW's have great driving traits, but indicators are ones I've never noticed!

BenB

posted on 11/9/20 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm tempted to put a sign near me saying "indicate on the roundabout".
There's a big roundabout with a little green in the area (with seats etc). Roundabout is probably 50m diameter.
Occasionally we get some genius ignoring the big white arrow on the blue circle and turning right onto the roundabout going against the flow of traffic. There's only space for one car so that gets exciting particularly as the type of person who tends to drive the wrong way round a roundabout also seems to have difficulty reversing round a curve.
The main issue is it's a busy roundabout and if you're waiting to join as already said the constant flow of cars that turn off without indicating makes it almost impossible to join. You can wait for a gap but they rarely happen and if you get bored waiting and decide the next car is going to turn off it inevitably isn't.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/9/20 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If you think roundabouts with traffic lights are bad have a look at the stupid Dutch round about in Cambridge. I was told by a Dutch guy they are no longer in favour in Holland

Is that the one with the cycle path round the perimeter?

Dingz

posted on 11/9/20 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I cycled around one in Cambridge last week with a green? cycle path all the way around, it was a bit scary going around assuming traffic stops for bikes, especially when I was unsure of where I was heading!

I drive a BMW btw and the indicators work fine.

[Edited on 11/9/20 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Slimy38

posted on 11/9/20 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
VAG cars are terrible (usually too small to be any use) unless it's one of their big autobahn cruisers,

I'm not sure if my Superb qualifies as an autobahn cruisers, but I think the indicators are really clever. Even to the point where the sidelights will go out on the side of the indicators, so they are even more clearer than normal. The wing mirrors ones are really nice and clear, and the rears are similarly good.

I think recent Peugeot's are the worst, they're hidden away inside the main light so you really can't see them if they have their lights on.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/9/20 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Is that the one with the cycle path round the perimeter?

Yes, it’s the only one in the UK and even local drivers don’t know how to use it .Just waiting for a fatality!

r1_pete

posted on 12/9/20 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
It will have changed at the same time as the law came in which says:-

You sit in the outside lane of the dual carriageway at 45mph, whilst not overtaking, and do not move left for any reason because your sat nav says you need to turn right at the next roundabout 5 miles ahead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/20 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
I drive a BMW btw and the indicators work fine.

But I bet you probably keep the indicator fluid topped up...

rf900rush

posted on 12/9/20 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have just bought my first BMW
Indicators work fine, but I am informed that I have no need to use them.

I have not mastered driving like a cock either.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/9/20 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I had to smile when I saw a large BMW today - its numberplate was "SN08 BMW"

Oh - and he was indicating, so perhaps it wasn't his car (or he hadn't done the BMW driving course).

steve m

posted on 12/9/20 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the difference between a BMW driver and God ?
God doesnt drive a BMW

At a party, how do you know your talking to a BMW driver ?
He tells you,

Why do Mot testers carry a tack cloth ?
To wipe the dust off the indictor stalk (if fitted)

Who in their right mind, would want to drive a car, that has a swastika on the bonnet boot and wheels ?

A car that will spend an awful lot of time in the BMW overpriced garage, and the newest ones we have, on fleet, spend on average a week out of every two months we own them, in the BMW garage in Three bridges Crawley, I know this, as i have to do the costings and warrantee claims

We have 40 fleet drivers at work, and we are all such good friends with the local BMW dealership, that we call their private numbers when we collect a car that has spent a week their!!

We have many many makes of vehicles on Fleet, and ive never been to Honda, Volvo, VW/Audi, Mercedes, Peugot, Citroen, Ford, Nor Bentley, but the Porsches are not that reliable either

Just saying

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.