Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Why so many Owners Clubs???
JAG

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Why so many Owners Clubs???

Hi Guys,

It seems to me that we're all building versions of Ron Champions 'Locost' design, or developments there of, so why do we have so many owners clubs?

I'm a member of the Locost Car Club and I'm aware of a GTS OC, MK OC, Luego OC etc....

My cars a Stuart Taylor car but aren't they all Locosts??

Would there be any interest, from members or club managers, in merging a few of these clubs?

We can argue about what to call it later

BUT it would give us all some serious advantages, like;

1) Increased leverage for club discounts.

2) Greater presence at Kit Car shows.

3) Reduced snobbery/elitiste behaviour (Se7ens have needed that for a while )

3) Larger area meetings, means more local contacts and friends to go driving with/help fix your car/go drinking with etc...

4) More Club organisers which would lighten their load

5) Club events would be much easier to organise as much greater chance of sufficient support.

6) Top quality newsletter

So what do you think?

Does it sound like good sense?

Seems like a no-brainer to me

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Hammerhead

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
sounds good. are the middy boys invited?

JAG

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Can't see why not

Justin

Hammerhead

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
and even the bec boys??

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
hmm we might need the server updated (even more) for that
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
It's a great idea. Do you think that the owners of £30K+ 'Locosts' would mix with us peasants?
Mind you they might now that 'that thread' has been deleted.

[Edited on 7/3/07 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

ReMan

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
What's wrong with this club, I'm a paid up member.

This is a club is'nt it?

graememk

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
hear hear

mind you i'm a paid up member but i still get that pop up

[Edited on 7/3/07 by graememk]

Bluemoon

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I think this is a good idea, would enable much more due to the bigger numbers... I don't think it should take over from the established clubs, maybe these other clubs could be affliated (via a small subscription?) to the larger locost club, givining it's members membership of the larger club?
JAG

posted on 7/3/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Reman;

Exactly what I was thinking. All based around the Locostbuilders website. The guys who currently run all the different Owners Clubs could share the jobs and ChrisW could continue to provide this magnificent resource.

We could all pay up via the sites Paypal Donate feature.

One Club to rule them all, One Club to find them, One Club to bring them all, and in the "light of knowledge and friendship" bind them

Justin

Myke 2463

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is the second best idea since colin chapman had the first.

Long live the 7 by any name.

nick205

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a member of any clubs myself, but IMHO people will always want to associate with other owners of the same marque in some way or another.

Again IMHO a Locost is a car that has been built from scratch by an individual and not a kit that has been bought and assembled (in simple terms).

Personally I am all for a more encompassing club with the benefits identified - I'd probably sign up as a member. I would however still have a stronger affinity with other MK owners.

grahamgg

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
talking about owners clubs,whats happened to mk owners club website seems to have gone awol,I to am not a member of any club and one big club based around maybe the lowcostbuilders,is a good idea

graememk

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
MK owners club, i'm going to have a chat with andy about it seeing as hes local, i think his son was redoing the site

andyps

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a good idea to me - do Robin Hood get included Seriously though, they all share a common basis (maybe Robin Hood excepted) and would be really impressive all together at a show rather than seeing lots of individual groups of 7's scattered around.

Might struggle to get Caterham involved though, and WSCC is pretty big I think.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Hellfire

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Nick. The Locost by definition (in theory at least) is low in cost. ie, Built from scratch using raw materials.

Our MK Indy therefore isn't a Locost and as such, we aren't true Locostbuilders. Our only association with Locost owners is through the use of this website, where ChrisW has kindly given specific marque owners, independent manufacturers sections. That is why we aren't members of the Locost club but are/were/will be again (delete as appropriate) members of the MK Owners Club.

Phil

smart51

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a Lotus Seven OC or similar, or do they only let in genuine Lotuses?
twybrow

posted on 7/3/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Even an Indy is 'locost' when compared with a Caterham (or an origisnal Lotus 7!). I think one large club would be good. Not a 'locost' club, but a 7/7-derivitives club. Everyone should be welcome. Enough of this bloody elitism! We all like to drive, some of us like to build - leave it at that!
grahamgg

posted on 7/3/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I agree with Nick. The Locost by definition (in theory at least) is low in cost. ie, Built from scratch using raw materials.

But thats what an mk is,just that they have given you a helping hand to get you on your way.
What about a locost builder who didn't build their chassis, or bought one of ebay etc,would they be excluded or not classed as a true lowcost builder

[Edited on 7/3/07 by grahamgg]

[Edited on 7/3/07 by grahamgg]

Hellfire

posted on 7/3/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grahamgg
quote:

But thats what an mk is,just that they have given you a helping hand to get you on your way.

So given your theory above, a Westfield/Caterham is a Locost too???

This is not a snobbery/elitist thing - quite the opposite. My opinion is that a Locost is built by an individual, using raw materials and from scratch, rather than the product of a manufacturer.

Phil

[Edited on 7-3-07 by Hellfire]

grahamgg

posted on 7/3/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
JAG had a very good idea about maybe bringing clubs together to make one big club,which would benefit owners in many ways.This would appeal imho to many.
if for example a club were organising a sprint meet or drag day the chances of many cars turning up would be good.
And you would probably get a lot more members joining where they would maybe not join any in the first place.
seems like the argument has changed to who would qualify to join.
and caterham are hardly lowcost,you seen the prices of them lately

JAG

posted on 7/3/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think there should only be one criteria for joining - you want to share the Kit car experience with like minded people.

After that I don't car what the club's called (doesn't have to be Locost anything), what car you drive (Locost, MK Indy, Sylva, GTS, MNR or Caterham/Westfield) or what your attitude is to me and my car.

If I don't like you I'll talk to those I do like and vice-versa but the benefits of such a large group of like minded Petrolheads CANNOT be overstated and would serve us ALL much better.

So now we've decided it's a good idea who wants to start the argument over what this new club will be called

[Edited on 7/3/07 by JAG]

Justin

Humbug

posted on 7/3/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Isn't there a Lotus Seven OC or similar, or do they only let in genuine Lotuses?

Here it is: http://www.lotussevenclub.com/

On the one hand, its says things like "Low Flying - The monthly magazine for all Lotus Seven and Caterham Seven enthusiasts" (that would include us in at least a round about way, since we have cars that imitate...) and "Over 3000 people who own or appreciate sevens." (we appreciate them... mostly anyway ).

On the other hand, the application form asks amongst others "Type : Caterham / Lotus Series", and it also says "The Club reserves the right to refuse this application.". I looked into the Lotus Seven celebration event and you can't take part without a "genuine" Lotus/Caterham.

JAG

posted on 7/3/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
eeerrrrmmmm you can't take part in ANY Lotus Seven club event without a genuine Lotus 7 (Lotus or Caterham).

They don't even allow the Caterham 21 boys to join in

Justin

Werner Van Loock

posted on 7/3/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Here in Belgium we have a Seven club, not aimed at any brand or self built.

and in holland there's even a large KitCarClub wich has around 250-300 members right now (me included even though I'm Belgian) I think that is the best solution as it doesn't matter wether you have a 5k locost or a 30k ultima, they share 1 common thing, they're all kitcars.

But I think it's difficult to merge the clubs that exist right now.

Main benefit about a general kitcarclub is that people who own a kitcar that has dissapeared from the market have a place to go.

It would also give the Industry a bit of a shoulder to lean on when it comes to regulation changes.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.