Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: odd engine choices for a se7en?
Agriv8

posted on 12/10/06 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Rover V8 designed for moving 2 ton of range rover.
regards Agriv8

Hmmm A history Lesson is in order here.

GM experimented with aluminum engines starting in the early 1950s, and work on a production unit commenced in 1956.

Although dropped by GM in 1963, in January 1965 the tooling for the aluminum engine was sold to Britain's Rover Group to become the Rover V8 engine and it was fitted it to the RoverP5(b), P6, and the Land / Range Rovers. It would remain in use for more than 35 years. GM tried to buy it back later on, but Rover declined, instead offering to sell engines back to GM. GM refused this offer.

However, originally it was standard equipment in the 1961 Buick Special and the Buick Special Skylark.
Oldsmobile and Pontiac also used the all-aluminum 215 on its mid-sized cars, the Oldsmobile F-85 and Pontiac Tempest.

It may be old, but its an excellent engine weighing in at only a few kgs more than a Pinto. Its got real Lazy power, and is an excellent and well proved engine.
Mine pulls 120+ Mph, I chickened out going any faster, 120 is good enough for me. Theroretically it should do approx 145mph.

Its doing 2800 Rpm at 70Mph, ie sensible cruising, and returns 25Mpg at 70 / 80mph on the motorway. Less in town though.
It will overtake most cars with consumate ease.

Its a cracking Boat Anchor

sorry my coments were toungue in cheek sorry if i caused offense. It was a genralisation about the rover dissing out the tourque

I must be rover v8 no 1 fan been rebuilding em / tinkering with em for far too many years to remeber.

Still don't get bored of em, yep they have there faults but I love em always have always will.

rebuilding rover v8 no 2 and enjoyeng every minute if it.

all the best agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ChrisW

posted on 13/10/06 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Don't fancy doing mine for me do you? I took the heads off ready to have the valve guides redone, and now I've no idea how it all goes back together!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 13/10/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Don't fancy doing mine for me do you? I took the heads off ready to have the valve guides redone, and now I've no idea how it all goes back together!

Chris

YES send me your email address to me via U2U and I will send you the PDF of the rover Rebuild Manual ( lots of pictures to follow )

PS valve Guides I would go for a set of Bulleted from v8 Tunner. Not a job for at home unless you have a press I have just replaced mine on my heads bugger of a job even with all the correct equipment.

Regards.

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

akumabito

posted on 13/10/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
...Mazda rotary engine? Good power, not too heavy, revs like crazy... and it's not a bike engine!
ChrisW

posted on 13/10/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:

Chris

YES send me your email address to me via U2U and I will send you the PDF of the rover Rebuild Manual ( lots of pictures to follow )

PS valve Guides I would go for a set of Bulleted from v8 Tunner. Not a job for at home unless you have a press I have just replaced mine on my heads bugger of a job even with all the correct equipment.

Regards.

Agriv8

Was intending to take the heads to Real Steel in Uxbridge, as they are only 10 mins away from my workshop and seem to have a reasonable reputation.

V8 rebuild manual would be useful though I'm sure. My address is my username (without the W) at locostbuilders.co.uk.

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jonte

posted on 13/10/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
...Mazda rotary engine? Good power, not too heavy, revs like crazy... and it's not a bike engine!

This locost in sweden is powerded by a mazda rotary engine. Goes like xxxxx

Click it

Agriv8

posted on 13/10/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Chris PDF sent.

any problems give me a shout.

regards

Agriv8

akumabito

posted on 13/10/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jonte
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito

This locost in sweden is powerded by a mazda rotary engine. Goes like xxxxx

Looks sexy too!

iank

posted on 13/10/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to be a bit of a fashion for Ally cycle wings these days... I must admit they are growing on me.
akumabito

posted on 13/10/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
How 'bout those BMW V8's? I don't now how much they weigh (though they'd probably rival the Death Star), or how big they are (most likely ALSO similar to the Death Star), but they're good for about 300hp in stock form, the later models have 6-speed transmissions, and there's loads of 'm on e-bay for pretty decent prices..
Guinness

posted on 13/10/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 4.4l BMW V8 in my daily driver (yes I do get a personal Christmas card from the Saudi Government). Wouldn't like to weigh it, but I could run a tape measure over it if you want! It's attached to the ZF auto box with the silly 5 speed manual thingy. Wouldn't want to put it in the MK though!

Would be good on the drag strip though!

Mike

akumabito

posted on 13/10/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I have a 4.4l BMW V8 in my daily driver (yes I do get a personal Christmas card from the Saudi Government). Wouldn't like to weigh it, but I could run a tape measure over it if you want! It's attached to the ZF auto box with the silly 5 speed manual thingy. Wouldn't want to put it in the MK though!

Would be good on the drag strip though!

Mike

Yeah sure, let's see how big that engine is..
I bet it's cast iron though and not nice ally, right?
Also: automatic transmission

Jonte

posted on 13/10/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
BMW V8 has been done here in sweden, way up north....
It´s the silver and black you see in this photo in the link. i can try to get mor info if any1 wants

http://public.fotki.com/trackerswe/locost_trackday/imgp4087.html

[Edited on 13-10-06 by Jonte]

Click it

akumabito

posted on 13/10/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jonte
BMW V8 has been done here in sweden, way up north....
It´s the silver and black you see in this photo in the link. i can try to get mor info if any1 wants

http://public.fotki.com/trackerswe/locost_trackday/imgp4087.html

[Edited on 13-10-06 by Jonte]

...I guess that means it fits

I'd be interested in mor einformation. Especially engine sizes/wieght, total weight, performance/handling, etc.

Agriv8

posted on 13/10/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
bmw did 2 alloy v8 didnt they ? one with the troublsome nilaski ( spelt wrong ) bores ok if you always use optimax i belive .

My money for v8 has to go on the alloy ls engines ls6 would be my choice.

regards agriv8

Simon

posted on 14/10/06 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
bmw did 2 alloy v8 didnt they ? one with the troublsome nilaski ( spelt wrong ) bores ok if you always use optimax i belive .

My money for v8 has to go on the alloy ls engines ls6 would be my choice.

regards agriv8

Didn't Jaguar also use the "nilaski" - with probs too?

ATB

Simon

Gav

posted on 14/10/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
You mean Nikasil? had my kawasaki KR-1S 2stroke replated once, umm 2 stroke oil umm
Agriv8

posted on 14/10/06 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
cant spell it - cant say it either.

Nikasil i think one of the proca's had it fitted as well the one.

doesnt the sulpher we have/had in the fuel attack it or somthing ?

regards

Agriv8

Guinness

posted on 14/10/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wikipedia is your friend on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

Yeah, early BMW V8's (M60) had the nikasil liners, but they changed the design for the later engines (M62). Which was nice, cause that's what I got.

Anyone know off hand which manual gearboxes fit the V8?

Mike

akumabito

posted on 14/10/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Gotta love Wikipedia..so I guess they are ally then. Well that is good news... I know BMW offered manual trannies on at least a couple of those cars..

Getrag transmission Wikipedia Article

akumabito

posted on 15/10/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've found this site on these BMW engines:
http://www.bmwworld.com/engines/m62.htm

It lists the weight at approximately 220kgs, but that seems a tad on the heavy side for an all aluminium engine?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.