<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortx Harness mount strengthening
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 30/12/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Me and Jon have been discussing our top mountings. I cannot see how they passed as they are a classic cantilever mount. The higher they are the more leverage they have to snap, and this is more lightly the harder the bolts are.
I will add a triangular fillet to a bush running up the mounting bolt, as detailed above, for my own peace of mind as this would greatly spread and change the nature of the loading. However for SVA it would be best to get rid of the cantilever bit IFF the resultantant line of the belt does not run upwards to your shoulder or upwards to part of the seat not designed to take that type of loading. You can put in a seat that is intended to take the seatbelt loading by having the necessary bracing but this is expensive and the chair will have to be examined as a solid part of the chassis! You could also use inertia reel to reduce the number of problem points to one till after SVA!
Gardner Douglas weld in the bolts through their roll bar. On my Cobra I have had to weld on a whole new triangulated frame to pass the SVA.
If I was you I'd bite the bullet and properly triangulate the point with the same bar as the roll over bar. Whatever you do for the SVA, I would not rely just those cantilevers. Good luck.

Winston Todge

posted on 30/12/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just my 2 pence worth...

I have Triton seats mounted directly to the chassis and have had to chop down the harness mounts considerably to slot the harnesses through without fouling the holes in the seat... They look much 'stronger' now. Definitely a smaller moment around the welded area.

Anyway good luck Paul. Hope you pass on the retake!

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 1/1/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Could you just clarify, is the 'bar' which needs triangulating the cross bar of the chassis or the bar the mounting bolt runs through?
Cheers

chockymonster

posted on 1/1/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
Could you just clarify, is the 'bar' which needs triangulating the cross bar of the chassis or the bar the mounting bolt runs through?
Cheers

It's not the bar but the mounts that I've been told I need to strengthen

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the mounting you fabricated and bent around the roll bar (the one you have the other mild bars bolted to).
I had an off road racer fully FIA approved, which had both top harness points bolted to a single bracket like yours. It had to be welded onto the roll over bar and was obviously much beefier. Do away with the other mounts completely, or keep for after SVA.
I can get a link to the SVA guide if it helps (the one the government sells).
These photos don't show much I'm afraid but hey-ho!
http://bus-wad.sihe.ac.uk/gorc4x4/images/trials/res%20Feb%2005/pages/res21.htm
http://bus-wad.sihe.ac.uk/gorc4x4/images/trials/res%20Feb%2005/pages/res34.htm

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 2/1/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Heres the link to the VOSA guide but it charges a contribution of £1.24 now
http://hotrodphotos.co.uk/SVA.htm
Best of luck
Ed

Dillinger1977

posted on 5/1/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
i might be wrong but ive just been to have a look at the mounts on mine and they seem a bit shorter than some of the ones in photos here. (mine are about 30mm high)
is it my eyes playing tricks, or were they a bit shorter on earlier chassis' Marc?

if so, I might not have as much as an issue as people with higher ones. Also, it looks like i've got the option of shortening them further still if needs be. I'll just see what the inspector says and would advise.

-Rog

Agriv8

posted on 5/1/07 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Rog I would think yours are on the shorter ones ( same as mine ) they are also attached to the chassis sligtly diferently Shouldnt be any problems unless you are getting SVA'ed at southhampton

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.