Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Why so many Owners Clubs???
DarrenW

posted on 7/3/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Im a member of ne7ers. Several marques are represented inc Westfield, Caterham, Robin Hood, ST, MK, Mac#1 and probs others that i cant remember. This works for me as its NE based and easy to participate in meets etc.

Im also a member of M1MOC, not quite so local but always a worthy run out when meets are arranged (usually Factory open days).

I dont consider myself a true locoster nor my car a locost for reasons well covered by Hellfire already.

emsfactory

posted on 7/3/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
(me included even though I'm Belgian)

scotmac

posted on 10/3/07 at 04:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

So now we've decided it's a good idea who wants to start the argument over what this new club will be called

[Edited on 7/3/07 by JAG]

Se7en Owners and Builders....SOB's!!!

chrisg

posted on 26/3/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Bumped this again - looks like a good idea to me.

I think it's clear from the Replies that some MK owners don't want to be asocciated with the the Locost, for whatever reason, what about everyone else?

cheers

Chris

iank

posted on 26/3/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think it should be limited to 7's since there's plenty of unusual machinery being developed/build by people on here.

I think the mindset of the people here is more important than what marque they drive.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Coose

posted on 26/3/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Im a member of ne7ers. Several marques are represented inc Westfield, Caterham, Robin Hood, ST, MK, Mac#1 and probs others that i cant remember. This works for me as its NE based and easy to participate in meets etc.

Ne7ers isn't a club as such, just a group of like-minded people (mainly beer monsters! )! There is no membership fee and we don't control who is a part of it - anyone can be involved!
We probably meet up more often than most 'clubs' socially!

Spin 'er off Well...

blueshift

posted on 26/3/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an interesting idea and might be nice. However.

In reality I don't think you would be uniting everything into one big club, but starting off another small club which would ultimately fizzle due to being too broad in its attempted member base.

We start off with the assumption that everyone should come over here from the other forums. That assumes that people who hang out on those forums would be happy to leave their structure, post count, small group of friends or whatever and be absorbed into this one. I think that's unlikely, if someone tried to encourage everyone here over into some other superclub forum, I wouldn't go. Would you?

You could start a load of new sections on here and end up fracturing the forum into people who hung out just in specific areas, I think there's already an overwhelming amount to try and keep up with (as for reply to everything interesting.. forget it).

Or you could keep it as it is and have everyone building their myriad different cars asking all their manufacturer-specific questions in the existing categories. This would worsen the "signal to noise ratio" for people like me who aren't interested in and have nothing to contribute to those discussions. Likewise for the pure kit builders who aren't interested in hearing what grubby bits of old sierras will mate with grubby bits of other old sierras.

That would result in questions getting lost, attention drifting away, general "dilution" and loss of the spirit and cameraderie that we still have a lot of.
There's a feeling here that we're all or mostly all in the same boat, struggling along learning as we go, making mistakes on a budget, inventing and lashing things up, leaning on one another's knowledge. I like that feeling and it would be diminished if I had to pick through a mass of conversation irrelevant to me.

I think this forum gets things just about right, for me at least. There is a focus on locost building with a varying proportion of stuff bought in from kit car suppliers. Full on kit builders are welcomed and have their own little sections for specific conversation, and are pointed in the right direction where manufacturer's own forums exist.

It would be nice to have more group buy clout or whatever, I just don't think it's feasible as something that would work. You could extend the idea to all seven-esque cars, all kit cars and replicas, all sports cars, all cars ever...

There are forums like pistonheads already, and plenty of seven-ish clubs. Apart from the reasons above why I don't think it would work, personally I like being part of a reasonably small and focused community and I think that's why this and many other clubs work at the size they are, and you don't have a superclub already.

If you want to create a superclub then by all means go for it and I wish you every success. I might even sign up for the discounts

But please don't turn locostbuilders into that superclub. I think we would all lose something important.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.