Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which chassis to buy?
martyn_16v

posted on 8/5/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I hated the new MNR when I first saw it, it's starting to grow on me now though. I think it looks a bit Hannibal Lecter in that pic

This would be the new RH/GBS chassis then, I managed to have a look at it and take a picture without twigging at the time that it was new

[Edited on 8/5/07 by martyn_16v]

stuart_g

posted on 8/5/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
That's it, the new chassis, has anyone a pic of the actual car which was next to it? What an imptovement over the existing chassis.
flak monkey

posted on 8/5/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I wrote a long reply and just lost it: b@stard net connection.

I would say GTS, only for the fallout it would incurr

Seriously, get yourself to a show, look around the car and blag a few rides and then make a decision. The next big show is newark.

There are small differences between the kits, that may attract you to one more than the other. I will give you some ideas:

GTS - better panel fit than most, de dion back end as std, oval tube wishbones with quick camber adjuster. Rear bulkhead 25mm taller than std for ease of complying with sva with seatbelts.

MK - that bonnet scoop, u shaped, round tube wishbones, a bolt on roll bar as std (not, IMO a good idea), helpful chaps, big social group. IRS as std

Mac#1 - pretty much the same as the MK (hides). IRS as std

MNR - that unique scuttle/bonnet and new tractor face lift. Almost solely round tube chassis. IRS as std.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scotmac

posted on 8/5/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
Lets hope the zero 7 is not a another dodgy lightweight coke can

The zero 7 is a traditional steel square section and some round section chassis, wishbone front and rear e.t.c. The lightweight was a tin can and thankfully now been dropped.

Yes, the new 07 l/w looks to be a fairly nice locost chassis.

However, please note that, though the original l/w does need strategic strengthening, it is far from a tin-can. W/ that strategic strengthening, you end up w/ a torsionally strong, lightweight, unique final product.

[Edited on 8/5/07 by scotmac]

RK

posted on 9/5/07 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
I think the new MNR grows on you. You have to look at the whole car and not just the nose alone. The bonnet scoop is not my thing though. I'd have something else - bulge or an asymmetric one.
Catpuss

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
MK - that bonnet scoop, u shaped, round tube wishbones, a bolt on roll bar as std (not, IMO a good idea), helpful chaps, big social group. IRS as std

The roll bar is either weld on or bolt on as standard, your choice. You can either have welded on or bolt on depending if you want to chrome it later. They say the bolt on is not quite as strong. As I was having it all powder coated it was a weld on.

The only concert with the GBS chassis is if construction has improved or not. My mate's 2B was straight at least but they had to re-do all the brackets as holes didn't line up.

flak monkey

posted on 9/5/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Catpuss
The roll bar is either weld on or bolt on as standard, your choice. You can either have welded on or bolt on depending if you want to chrome it later. They say the bolt on is not quite as strong. As I was having it all powder coated it was a weld on.

I stand corrected

The welded in roll bar will add to stiffness in some areas, not sure how beneficial it will be though, never carried out any analysis. I wouldnt want to roll one with a roll bar thats held in with 8 rivnuts (as I have seen on too many occasions).

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

iank

posted on 9/5/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Worth talking to procomp, especially if you want to go racing.

There is also the new book chassis available as the Roadrunner (MK Engineering)
http://www.mkdevelopments.co.uk/roadsterpricelist.htm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Catpuss

posted on 10/5/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by Catpuss

I stand corrected

The welded in roll bar will add to stiffness in some areas, not sure how beneficial it will be though, never carried out any analysis. I wouldnt want to roll one with a roll bar thats held in with 8 rivnuts (as I have seen on too many occasions).

David

Jeezzzus I'd use a collection of but FOAD bolts through the thick plate, but _rivnuts_. Thats just asking for a squished head in the roll.

scudracer

posted on 11/5/07 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Heard there's a new chassis being designed by some former Lotus Engineering design engineer. Should be interesting!

Shameless-ad-supported-blog-that-belongs-to-my-friend plug - http://www.sevenbuilder.com & http://www.bikervoodoo.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.