Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What one bit of advice would you offer?
skodaman

posted on 28/3/08 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
Not that i'm anywhere near finishing, but use a donor vehicle and make as much of the suspension etc yourself otherwise you'll spend far more time sourcing parts than actually building. Also beware of having a mismatch of parts that need a load of hassle to get to fit. Also keep it all metric as much as possible. If money is short just go and buy one that's already on the road although that is rather missing the point.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 28/3/08 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Heed the advice above re budget - maybe not double but it's never what you want it to be!

Plan your time carefully - not so much in a calender format, but set aside certain time in your week/month/life to get jobs done.

Try and complete sections of the car building in as short a period of time as possible (ie - wiring, try and do it in one go, whether that be in a weekend or week etc//riveting, get prepared and just crack on)

Cheers!
Steve

lotustwincam

posted on 28/3/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
How ever long you might think the build will take - double it.

When the car first sits on its own four wheels, you'll think you're nearly finished, but you're only half way there.

Let everyone you meet know what you're building. It's surprising the parts that will come out of the woodwork. Even from the people you would least expect.

Studying the SVA manual before you start into the bodywork will save you a lot of grief later on.

DarrenW

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
It doesnt matter who you talk to when speccing up - they will tell you something different. Decide what you want from the car first then go for it.

Do it right first time. No bodging.

snapper

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
My friens build consisted of...
Chassis + pile of donor bits = simple build with no frills or upgrades, finished in a year.
My build, still on going was... chassis + pile of donor bits + change diff twice + plus change engines x 3 + re engineer complete powertrain to accept V6 gearbox, then re fit complete pedalbox twice then complete steering system then throw it away and install adjustable steering and so it goes on.
4 years so far.

My advise, get all your bits together then build it with what you have, if in the meantime you find other bits you want to put on the car, buy them and put them to one side for AFTER SVA.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Benzine

posted on 28/3/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Don't say "it'll be done in X months and to an exact budget of £xxxx".

It won't

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 28/3/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Take a leaf from the pro hotrod/custom bike builders (Orange Country Choppers etc.)...

Fabricate all that needs fabricating. Make sure it all fits BEFORE getting things painted/powder coated/chromed etc.

Get it painted/powder coated/chromed. Lots of bits will be cheaper than dribs and drabs.

Do the "final assembly" and watch it grow into a real car.

Smile lots at what you've achieved. Didn't you do well?

Andy

smart51

posted on 28/3/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure what you build when the car is bare can be removed when it is fully built. You will have to repair / replace at least some parts.

Put a big clock in your garage. Don't just wait unitl it gets dark outside to remind you that you've been out there too long.

chrsgrain

posted on 28/3/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Buy some clecos!
Don't buy cheap tools.
Enjoy it - if you're not, give it a break for a bit.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

pajsh

posted on 28/3/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
DON'T buy a half finished projects unless you:

a) know what you are doing.

b) are prepared to take it apart and rebuild it.

Otherwise you'll never be happy with what someone else has done and will never trust it.

I speak from experience.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

Ian D

posted on 28/3/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Make use of all the build diaries and pictures. Thaye saved me making a lot of errors.

quadrupple the time you think its going to take.

Understand the implication of integrating different parts before you buy.

Ask lots of questions

finally enjoy it because if you dont it wont get finished.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/3/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
One practical hint:

Put your petrol filler cap on the top of your boot cover, not in the rear panel.

I wish I had - I get fed up in petrol stations, doing the 'squeeze-click-squeeze' routine...

Alan B

posted on 28/3/08 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
As many have said...keep it simple and do it right...so you can finish it....learn from the first and make number two the fancy one...
Marcus

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Only 1 piece of advice,

Stop thinking and start doing - was ages pondering a Locost - should have started waaay earlier!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

JoelP

posted on 30/3/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
my advice would be, this car will kill you if you take the piss.
Jasper

posted on 31/3/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Rush the first one, get it on the road quick and see if you like it....

Sell that one (or crash it and get the insurance £££) then build a proper one once you've decided what you REALLY want... and you've practised on the first one....

Well, that's what I did anyway, ditched the BEC for a CEC, fit and windscreen, doors and heater, carpets etc etc ....

Well - might not be the best way, but that's what I did

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.