Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What NOT to do if your car starts sliding on ice!!!
JoelP

posted on 7/1/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
i think its just that its better for you to be thrown back into the seat rather than forward into the seat belt. Less pressure on your body as more area to spread it between.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

DorsetStrider

posted on 7/1/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
First let me say that ABS doesn't make any difference in these sorts of conditions. My car has ABS and this morning while coming away from my girlfriends I started to slid downhill whilst in second at about 800 revs. ABS kicked in breifly but didn't make a difference. Quick change to down to 1st and lots of clutch control managed to stop me after about 3 car lengths, just before a busy T junction.

When I was a kid I seem to remember councils gritting vertually all roads. I don't remember them running out of grit either. Perhaps if the people at the top stopped mis using tax payers money there would be enough left for little things like...erm...services!

The one and only time I've been pulled over by the police was to compliment me on my driving. I was visiting friends in Norwich and driving up a VERY steep hill in snow and ice I lost all traction. Hit the brakes and the car started sliding backwards. Into 2nd and after a moment of power control managed to get the tyres spinning but the car to stop it's backwards slid. After about 5 seconds the spinning tyres got enough traction to start pulling us up the hill (followed by a police 4x4 thing). At the top of the hill blues lights came on and I pulled over... police driver pulled up alongside, rolled down his window and said "that was a great bit of driving mate, well done. Take care" and drove off. It's nice when the plod compliment you on your driving

Who the f**K tightened this up!

David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DorsetStrider
First let me say that ABS doesn't make any difference in these sorts of conditions.

ABS only works if at least one wheel is turning - if all the wheels are stopped then the ABS controller thinks you're parked! It doesn't know you're still doing 20mph down an icy hill...

morcus

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Like when you spin the wheels and the speedo says your doing 100mph.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.