Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CA18DET build.
ChrisB200SX

posted on 9/1/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
It's an SR20DET but not directly interchangeable with the RWD version, turbo is useable, some bits can be used, others are tricky to swap over.

Chris B

StrikerChris

posted on 9/1/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thought it was just the distributed made me think it might be an 1800!the lad selling it said its got a t28r so that's what I have my eye on,and a fancy boost controller.not that I want my mates car to go tits up.(much)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisB200SX

posted on 9/1/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The Pulsar GTi-R only came with an SR20DET.
With that power and 4WD, it shouldn't take long to break the gearbox, they have a habit of eating 'boxes

The turbo is slightly different to the RWD version and supports a little more power, not much more though really, think it's a straight swap, might need to rotate the core though.

T28R (actually GT28R) is a ball bearing turbo and I'd recommend it, not the same as the standard 200SX or Pulsar turbo unit though. Make sure it's a Garrett or other reputable manufacturer or it may not last long

[Edited on 9/1/12 by ChrisB200SX]

Chris B

StrikerChris

posted on 9/1/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Does look like mine and is Garrett but probably would need rotating,room is an issue in the Striker,so ill wait for the inevitable phonecall.did the clutch in his last one,never again!or maybe just swap my turb for his when hes back on the rig,he'll never notice!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisB200SX

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, rotate the core and you won't be able to tell the difference, straight swap then
It shouldn't even take an extra millimetre, only real differences are internal, and maybe the bolt-on compressor inlet

To be honest it probably isn't worth the effort unless you've explored all the other tuning options, there are a few and most of them cheap without as much hassle as changing the turbo and gaskets.
You want to start with the right engine/turbo, or make the most of the one you've got.

What power/torque have you got and at what revs, what would you like to improve and what isn't standard on your SR20DET set-up?
I should be able to give you a few pointers as to the cheapest or best bang-for-buck modifications.

[Edited on 9/1/12 by ChrisB200SX]

Chris B

StrikerChris

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
It's just bolted in straight from my standard 14a.landrover intercooler and about a mile less of intake pipes.fast enough but the temptation wil never go to get it faster!
StrikerChris

posted on 9/1/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's just bolted in straight from my standard 14a.landrover intercooler and about a mile less of intake pipes.fast enough but the temptation wil never go to get it faster!
ChrisB200SX

posted on 9/1/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Get a chip first, way easier and cheap
Probably best to improve the intercooler next, then increase the boost to about 17psi. Electronic boost controller, adjustable actuator or a couple of washers behind the standard actuator.

Any of those thing will make as big a difference as changing the turbo, all of them together will make a much bigger improvement though.

Chris B

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.