<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharged Zetec.
garybee

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Nope....

That is the Raw Phoenix which has the same Omex kit on it as mine does...so there are two Red Phoenix(es) with supercharged zetecs in them

They're getting a bit common aren't they?

beaver34

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
A good day today at Debden although with mixed weather.

I ended up 2nd in class with a 67.x sec run, 7th overall and was beaten by Paul Bowden (by 1 sec) and some single seaters. First real competitive run for the Supercharged Phoenix, 2nd run I was running out of fuel on the last few corners and the third run I outbraked myself into the roundabout (always a sign you haven't done your best time when you have to select reverse during a run !).

http://youtu.be/QiwYVg4m7uA

[Edited on 6/5/12 by jeffw]

Looks good, what wheel and tyre size are you running now?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thats goes well
jeffw

posted on 7/5/12 at 05:24 AM Reply With Quote
It does go well....100mph in 3rd ! Still on low boost mode so once the extra 50-60BHP appear we should be a little further on. Looking back at my previous Debden data the car is 15mph faster at peak speed to my 210BHP NA engine.

The tyre size on the rear is 215/55 13" Avon ZZRs.

jeffw

posted on 7/5/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garybee
quote:
Nope....

That is the Raw Phoenix which has the same Omex kit on it as mine does...so there are two Red Phoenix(es) with supercharged zetecs in them

They're getting a bit common aren't they?

Common as muck

HowardB

posted on 7/5/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
interesting as they claim 310ish with an intercooler, and 350ish with a charge cooler,.. so there is something there too,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jeffw

posted on 8/5/12 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yes indeed. Omex have been doing a lot of work on the Raw car recently (Engine dyno, different heads/cams/intercoolers etc) and have settled on an engine specification which best supports the Rotrex kit.

I need to change my intercooler, which is very inefficient, for either a better intercooler or a charge cooler. This will gain back something of the 6psi loss currently through the intercooler and then we can reduce the supercharger pulley size so that we hit max supercharge rpm at max engine rpm. This will give us another 2-3psi. With these two modifications alone it should go from 9psi at max rpm (250HP at the wheels) to 14-15 psi at the plenum which should see the engine up towards the 300HP at the wheels. If we then skim the head to give 11:1 compression ration and the new, bespoke, cams that Omex have developed it will be well into the 300s at the wheels. Maybe even 350-370 at the crank.

These things always evolve....

supercat

posted on 8/5/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Jeff - apologies if it has already been mentioned on the thread - what gearbox are you using with the engine? Type 9?

Cheers,
James

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
BGH HD Type 9. Which is good for 250(ish) ft lb

jeffw

posted on 29/6/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just dropped the pulley by 10mm and it now runs 310BHP & 240 ft lb. Still have a lot of losses on the intercooler which will be the next thing to resolve...

mabbs

posted on 29/6/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jeff,

What maximum RPM are you running ? I beleive the Rotrex supercharger is designed to run at a maximum 100,000 RPM and with the engine running at 7500 rpm with the pulley diameter at 95mm (which is what it has been designed to run at) it is just over the limit at 104,000 RPM. If you are dropping the pulley diameter to 85mm, the supercharger will be heavily overspun at an engine speed of 7500 RPM (I think it works out at about 140,000 RPM) and I have been told the supercharger will not last very long - I looked into doing this also but was advised not to. Have you done something different to support this or running lower maximum engine RPM ?

jeffw

posted on 29/6/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Rev limit is down to 7100 which works out to be 101K on the supercharger. My cams are done and dusted at 7100-7200 so not an issue although as you can see from the spreadsheet 90mm maybe the way to go.

[Edited on 29/6/12 by jeffw]

jeffw

posted on 16/8/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Found this from a trackside viewer at Goodwood...I'm at 46 secs

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqo8y7cNb8Q&feature=related

And the onboard is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btdsAE_vGYg&list=UUyjCHSGwXhVEXz3hsQuAlAw&index=1&feature=plcp

[Edited on 16/8/12 by jeffw]

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Found this from a trackside viewer at Goodwood...I'm at 46 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqo8y7cNb8Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=45s

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 16/8/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

maccmike

posted on 16/8/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
love the flames hehehe. looks well..
jeffw

posted on 16/8/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't realise it did it after only one lap, I though it was heat related.

jeffw

posted on 10/11/12 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
After the idler and tensioner failure and the 3rd gear being stripped (box has been rebuilt as a BGH E8 now) the car is running. When the head was off to replaced the bent valves they discovered the clearances where set at 2 thou and not 10 thou. All these where reset and the engine now revs much faster (!) and makes 300BHP at the wheels....which is why 3rd gear stripped.

A very wet Abbeville last weekend. Car was wheelspinning in any gear with more than 1/2 throttle. Does show how easy it is to drive on part throttle though. Make sure you switch to 1080p...watch me almost put it in the gravel on hte first lap and all the MX-5s drifting.

[Edited on 10/11/12 by jeffw]

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.