Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Examples of joints & trusses
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Examples of joints & trusses

Hey guys

I’m in the process of designing another box trailer, which is to be a hire one. It’s going to be really huge but a super light streamlined thing. I’ve been considering maintenance issues I had with the last one especially when it came back with a massive dent in the front (car reversed into it!) and all the hassle I had taking it apart an fixing it, something I had not accounted for ever needing to do and due to the way I’d built it ended up a long tedious job. So I was instead thinking of bolting / riveting the whole thing together rather than welding. A sort of a sheeted meccano spaceframe really. Only thing that’s bugging me is all the plates and joints needed, the numbers not a problem as I’m going to get them burned out. It’s the actual design of the joints, I could do with something that has accepted examples that work well in fatigue situations especially using aluminium. Also helpful would be truss designs examples too.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyW

posted on 7/1/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
i am building a garage our of meccano sounds funny i know but im useing a type of metal channel similar to unistrut but alot better quality. The combination of brackets and braces and bits to john it together are huge. Will when i get in tonight send a link to my company web site with details. Cant do now as on line on mobile!
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/1/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
i am building a garage our of meccano sounds funny i know but im useing a type of metal channel similar to unistrut but alot better quality. The combination of brackets and braces and bits to john it together are huge. Will when i get in tonight send a link to my company web site with details. Cant do now as on line on mobile!

nice one thanks

[Edited on 7/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brynhamlet

posted on 7/1/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've assisted in the building of 3 glider trailers, the largest 34 feet long body, width same as a car and were the rudder sits is so high, even standing on tip toes so high even stretching couldn't touch the roof.
Structure is two geodic girders one for each side, with steet hoops to support the roof. Cross memebers to brace it width wise, a frame tow bracket, two sets of indespension type axles. Then all clad in ali sheet pop riveted on. Get yorself to the nearest gliding club and ask around to see if you can way up the construction of a typical trailer. And they can be great fun to tow, cos you've legally got an artic length rig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.