Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 31/1/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
No engine number :-(

Oh dear the people at ford say there is no way to verify the age of an engine without the engine number so it looks like i'm screwed!
I had hoped to apply for sva this week but looking at the sva manual, it says the car will be tested on new car emissions regs if no proof of engine age available so i guess that means i have to buy and fit a cat :-(

Do any of you know a source of reasonably priced, suitable for a zetec cats, or does anybody know where i can hire one for the test?? I've tried a search but not a lot comes up.

Any help greatly appreciated :-(

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

blakep82

posted on 31/1/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
erm, doesn't having no engine number land you in a WHOLE lot of other bother?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 31/1/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
What you really want to do is find someone with a similar engine where the blocks been scrapped and then whip the engine number of that one.....
coozer

posted on 31/1/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Get down the scrappy and get a number off a scrap motor. Chisel it off the engine and stamp it onto yours.

Not ideal I know before anyone slates me but if there's no theft involved its just a way of straightening the problem out.

Buy a brand new service engine off Ford and theres no number on it. They stamp the number of the old engine on its being exchanged for.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

James

posted on 31/1/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Coozer.

Or, buy a knackered engine of the same model for little money and take the number off this then scrap it.

Or, buy an engine of the same model with knackered internals and transfer your good internals across. Then use the new block (and number) with replaced internals.

Easy to sort out whichever way you go.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/1/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
may have a plan

greggors84

posted on 31/1/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my pinto off a mate who used it for racing so was he never noticed the engine number had been ground off.

I got an old pinto block off some one on here, ground the engine number off that and stamped it on mine.

Of course I only noticed once the engine was in the car so couldnt stamp the number on the original location. I phoned the DVLA and said the old number was unreadable but I knew what it was and they said for SVA and registration just stamp it somewhere easily seen so its on the block near the bell housing. When I took it for SVA then registration at DVLA no one batted an eye lid.

If you take the number off another similar engine (similar year, same capacity) grind the number off and scrap the engine then your not doing any harm. If your worried you could always damage the block so there is no chance anyone will use it again.

[Edited on 31/1/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

big_wasa

posted on 31/1/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
When ford changed an engine over they where surposed to stamp the old number on to the new engine. Hence loads of zetec's with out a number as they couldnt be bothered.

Just find an engine in a scrapie that has done the cambelt and use the number.

No harm done.

I would loan you a pre aug 95 zetec but you are to far away

Paradoxia0

posted on 31/1/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding stamping it on somewhere....

The guy at the SVA test station I used spent ages looking at the number on my Rover V8 and wasn't happy it was the original number... I ended up having to buy and fit an old engine, get through the test and then re-fit the other one.

I know Ford engines the number is stamped on when they are swapped and not on every block as it comes off the line so you have more chance of getting away with it.

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

Hellfire

posted on 31/1/09 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity more than anything else but do you reckon DVLA would notice if the engine number was a duplicate of another?

Phil

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 31/1/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
OOps i've been slightly misleading here.

The engine does have a number- XXVEDXX

This isn't a ford number hence the problem. As this number is actually stamped on the block icant actually add another unless i attempt to grind it off which wouldn't be easy as the engine is in the car :-(

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

ashg

posted on 31/1/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
if you know the registration no of the vehicle it come out of do a HPI check as it will give you the engine no

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Ian D

posted on 31/1/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
A thought. My Zetec has the engine number also stamped on the head by the coil.

Ian

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 31/1/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I probably wont have time to do an engine change if i want to get it tested before the change to IVA as there are a pile of small jobs to get done too.

I found these:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=BACSPORTS0A

On ebay. One to fit my car is around £250.

If i go down the 'put in another engine' route' i'll be likely to miss sva and have to cough up £500 odd for IVA instead. If i put in one of the above cats it would still be cheaper than the cost of IVA.

Would these cats work ok for sva when mated to zetec 2.0 on weber alpha tb's?

Or maybe i should try and make time to do an engine swop. Have you got a precat 2.0 zetec lying about i could borrow Mr Mango?

I wish i'd thought about this earlier :-(

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 31/1/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ian are you sure? that could solve my probs!

Where exactly if you can remember?

I'll go out and have a look now

bob

posted on 31/1/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I am pretty sure those cats are the same as the one theconrodkid fitted to his zetec,cost about £60 from the states so might be worth dropping him a u2u.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 31/1/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Bob!!!!

I've just ordered one so hopefully problem solved :-)

prawnabie

posted on 31/1/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Id go down the scrppy with a file and hammer. Write the number down off a block, fille it away and then smash a hole in the block with the hammer lol!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.