Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much paint to cover 20m2?
smart51

posted on 13/2/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
How much paint to cover 20m2?

I estimated that my car needs 20 square metres of GRP painting, which takes account of the mimimum spray width of the gun, even on narrow pieces like A pillars. I went to the local paint shop and he wants to sell me 2 gallons of etch (1 each of etch and solution) 2 gallons of cellulose primer, 2 gallons of cellulose paint plus 2 of anti bloom thinners, 2 gallons of upol 1 pack laquer plus thinners for washing up. Total = £447.35 including VAT. If I want a polyester 1k colour basecoat, that in istelf is £430.33 for 10 litres. This all sounds very expensive.

Have I got my 20m2 wrong or has he got his quantities wrong? I guess by "gallon" he means a 5l tin.

BillHoll

posted on 13/2/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have restored a few old cars in my years and I have only used 1 litre of primer and 3 litres of top coat maximum.
02GF74

posted on 13/2/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
my guesstimate is a 7 style body, with cycle wings including bonnet is closer to 8 m2.

Fred W B

posted on 13/2/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think your 20 is way out, I estimated 10 m2 for my body.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

smart51

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've been out with my tape measure and I need 13.5 m2 of etch and primer plus 12.5 m2 of metallic colour and lacquer.

How much coverage do you get from cellulose? I thought a litre tin would cover about 10 m2.

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/2/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you substitute litres for gallons you will not be too far out.

I used 1l of high build etch and 0.5l thinner/accelerator, 1.5l of polyester colour coat and 2l of 2k clearcoat plus the thinners.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

roadrunner

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's completely different, but at work today we worked out that 90ml of paint to cover one square meter ,the difference being it was for hardwood windows.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i wouldnt bother trying to calculate the quantity you need. Give the paint factor a photo of the car and ask for "paint to spray that please".

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.