Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know how to do cheap websites?
mr henderson

posted on 21/2/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know how to do cheap websites?

I've got three cars in at the moment, and work on them is progressing nicely and they will all be finished soon.

I'm finding the work to be enjoyable (as much as any work can be, apart from maybe being a teacher at a ladies' college) and interesting, and have started thinking about how best to get some more work and set things up on a permanent basis.

The plan is to advertise in one of the kit car magazines, but to back up the ad I should have a simple website to give more details and a couple of pictures.

I only need something very simple, and certainly don't need or want to attract Googled enquiries so am wondering what would be the best way of going about getting one put together. Obviously I could pay someone to do it for me, but at my current labour rates I certainly couldn't afford commercial fees.

I do have some Serif website software but last time I used it I had problems with different screen resolutions.

All information and opinions welcome

John

nib1980

posted on 21/2/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
i use just host, and they have a WYSWIG type site builder free, very easy to use and effective.

My site costs me about £50 a year

www.nb-photos.co.uk if you wanna have a look

mr henderson

posted on 21/2/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
i use just host, and they have a WYSWIG type site builder free, very easy to use and effective.

My site costs me about £50 a year

www.nb-photos.co.uk if you wanna have a look

I liked your photos.

To make a clickable link, put the http stuff in front
http://www.nb-photos.co.uk

I had a look at
http://www.justhost.com
which I assume is the people you mean, and it seems ideal but they want me to give them all my card info before they are going to tell me how much money they want (they say £3.95 per month, but don't say how much the first payment is going to be), and before they will let me look at the site builder.

I get the feeling that they are probably OK, but am nervous about giving my CC info when they are being a bit coy about what I am going to get, and how much it is going to cost

John

f1ngers

posted on 21/2/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
You could try Magix Website Maker. Comes with software to create your own website and 1 years hosting all for £19.99.
http://www.magix.com/uk/online-marketing/website-maker-3/detail/?et_cid=30&et_lid=808879&cHash=2343be70df

[Edited on 21/2/09 by f1ngers]

designer

posted on 21/2/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I chose Orchard Hosting to get domain and hosting.

Loads of free WYSIWYG siye builders available.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 21/2/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
To break it down; your looking for two seperate things or a combination of both.

1st: Domain Name Registration. eg http://www.hendersoncustoms.co.uk - Average cost about £12 for 3 years.

2nd: Web Hosting, where the site content is stored. Cost ranging from a few pounds a year to hundreds of pounds a month.

Some companies offer packages which offer both domain registration and hosting.

It is highly likely that you have some webspace free with you ISP (the company who provide your home web access). This is typically around 50-100Mb. You can easily access the space using a freeware FTP (file transfer protocol application) to upload your site. It's all very simple with a little background reading.

Personally if I were in your position I would develop a site using a simple web editor such as the Serif application you have mentioned and host it on your ISP space. I would then register a domain name and have it point to the free site.

When your need grow and you need scripts and server side applications you can expand to a more capable host.

JC

[Edited on 21/2/09 by SeaBass]

cd.thomson

posted on 21/2/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John

Have you considered using a blogging website? These are totally free, come with templates but can be almost fully customised and are very easy to use.

You have to have a webaddress very much like mrhenderson.blogspot.com but if you dont mind that then this is what I would suggest.

Im in the peliminary stages of created a build diary at http://pint-o-rush.blogspot.com but bear in mind it could be much more picture orientated and you could group things differently than by dates.

Craig

fesycresy

posted on 21/2/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Try Google sites.

Simple but free

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

ryanslaney

posted on 21/2/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have a little website about myself so that I can attract and keep sponsors. It is hosted by a company called homestead and it couldn't be simpler. I looked into loads of different options and it worked out best. It cost only about $15 (u.s company) to set up with my web address and template. You then download a site builder and set it up in about an hour. I only pay around $4 per month which is much cheaper than others. Hope it helps. If you want to check it out type "homestead" into google. My website is www.ryanslaneyracing.com.

HTH
Ryan

[Edited on 21/2/09 by ryanslaney]

hobbsy

posted on 21/2/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to keep it locost I'd do what SeaBass said. You can always upgrade the hosting at a later date...
marcus_uk

posted on 21/2/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I can guide anyone on how to set up their own website hosting server from their home pc and all you would need to pay for then is your hosting name. Well kinda you need to keep your pc on for a while and as soon as you turn it off the page goes down. But it depends on what you want. I'm on the web during the day and my pc will be on from say 08:00 till 00:00 and most people are not on after those times anyway.

If you do it this way you can monitor how many people come to your site, where they are from and how long they stayed. It then shows you if your website is a bog hit and in need of proper hosting. Which i can help you with as well.

I can also help setting up website, forums, chatrooms, and other little things like that.

Marcus

[Edited on 22/2/09 by marcus_uk]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.