Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC oil consumption?
Moorron

posted on 2/6/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
BEC oil consumption?

BEC oil consumption?

Hi lads hope your all out in the cars at the moment. After my last engine required topping up every time I went out I am now finding I spend far to many moments checking my oil level on the new engine which is great fun as it’s a sight glass that’s not too easy to get to. But I am finding with the new engine I am still filling up with oil as it does drop some AND I can smell burnt oil when out on the roads especially when slowing down through the gears.

Ive always owned older cars where oil consumption seems to be much less then modern ones like the GF’s Ford Puma which uses a litre a month with heR doing so many short distance journeys every day.

I also heard somewhere that the suggested oil loss in Kawasaki bike engines is 1 litre per 1000 miles but i am unsure if this is true or not?. I understand my engine is not new so its going to have so wear and tear but I just need to know what to expect from it. Reading the manual for the bike it tells you to keep the oil in-between the min and max marker on the sight glass which I could never see until last night when I could make out 2 little pips on the casing which I assume are these markers. All I did was keep it in the sight glass before this.

It took 700ml to fill the oil from min to max, but take into account I have a larger sump so it would be less on the standard bike engine however its still ‘used’ this amount of oil within 300 miles.

Have I got a problem or should I just keep an eye on it and top it up from time to time?

cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Jon Ison

posted on 2/6/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
All the BECs I have had to date have used a little oil but not the amounts yours is, provided all is sweet no great big puffs of blue smoke then just keep an eye on it.

Tip, got a camera phone ? Perfect for checking oil levels.

smart51

posted on 2/6/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have to top mine up regularly. I just keep some in the boot, together with a funnel, and top up when the daylight is just right to see the window. I have a small mirror which I keep with me too so I can see the sight glass from above the engine.

skidude88

posted on 2/6/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm the same, carry spare in the boot and top up regularly - Do get through a fair bit, but I gathered that was normal?

Early MK de-Dion CBR1000 FJ-FP.

ReMan

posted on 2/6/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, expect it to sip a bit, specially if caned
Hellfire

posted on 2/6/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Our ZX12R uses a little bit of all but only needs topping up every once in a while. We have a mirror mounted at 45 degrees in front of the sight glass which makes checking the level a bit easier.

Phil

Moorron

posted on 2/6/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i try and use one of those mirrors on the end of a stick thinks and a tourch but it aint easy. I might get a piece of polished stainless then and make a fixed one.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

BenB

posted on 2/6/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
My car has never used any oil, the only time I fill it up is when I do an oil change.....
gixermark

posted on 2/6/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
halfords do very handy inspection mirrors - on flexible metal pipe stuff !! its the best 5 or 10 quid i spent when i was running the later blade engine with sight glass.. sometime a torch to shine light into the mirror helps too :-)

and yes - a glug or two each track day seemed fairly normal...

eccsmk

posted on 2/6/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
my zx12 uses a bit of oil its nothing to worry about.
i look the the gap where my drivers side wishbones are to check my oil
simples

dean100yz

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah my 918 uses a bit
Moorron

posted on 3/6/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
looks like some are and other arent.

I worked out that includinth e gearing difference and harder load on the engine from the bec and bike installation then its about right if this 1l/1000miles romour is right.

cheers

tootall

posted on 4/6/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
ive only driven my bec for a week n half and done about 400 miles i over fill oil to top of sight glass an its used to max mark prob about 400ml used i was getting worryed to but it seems aceptable

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.