Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Company cars - advisory fuel Rates
mad4x4

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Company cars - advisory fuel Rates

See this linky

My G/F get 10p per Mile for her 1395 CC Car that does (government 44mpg Combined supposedly)

She doesn;t nearly get that se gets about 32 if she is lucky - This month she is £60 out of pocket on expenses so far. Yet here employer say well that's what the government tell us to give you based on a mean of 48.8!
The car was supplied by her company till here "newer" car arrives in the next 6 months or when the can be bothered.

Is there any way she can get the additional money back cause at the moment she is funding the company......

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

r1_pete

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
There is a method of claiming the tax back on the difference between the 10p mile and the gov't milage rate for the same non company car......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blackcab

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
She can fill in a tax return and claim tax relief for the difference - the Govt allows
40p for the first 10k and then 25p there afters - if she is a basic rate tax payer she will claim back at 22% ish
so if she did 14000 miles in a year
40p x 10000 = £4000 x 0.22% £880
25p x 4000 = £1000 x0.22% = £220

so £1100 - less the money recieved by her employer and the difference ends up in your bank - simple !

or thats how I used to work mine out and it was always pretty accurate

[Edited on 4/8/09 by Blackcab]

britishtrident

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Smething far wrong if a modern 1400 cc car is only returning 32 mpg, last 1400 cars i hand were the early 90s Rover 214 and 414 and used to regularly get 37 to 38 mpg in mixed suburban/urban running.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Smething far wrong if a modern 1400 cc car is only returning 32 mpg, last 1400 cars i hand were the early 90s Rover 214 and 414 and used to regularly get 37 to 38 mpg in mixed suburban/urban running.

Maybe it's a Busa engined car

I would agree though a 1.4 petrol or diesel should return a far better mpg than that unless it's being used for something really stop start.

My 2.0 TDI Passat will return 55+mpg on the motorway and I'd struggle to get it below 40mpg even round town.

Richard Quinn

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcab
She can fill in a tax return and claim tax relief for the difference - the Govt allows
40p for the first 10k and then 25p there afters - if she is a basic rate tax payer she will claim back at 22% ish
so if she did 14000 miles in a year
40p x 10000 = £4000 x 0.22% £880
25p x 4000 = £1000 x0.22% = £220

so £1100 - less the money recieved by her employer and the difference ends up in your bank - simple !

or thats how I used to work mine out and it was always pretty accurate

I thought that was if you provided your own car for business use in which case it is to cover fair w&t, tax, ins etc as well as fuel. It's different if your employer provides the car and is always a bone of contention. IIRC the rates are set by HMRC or whatever they are called this week.

Davg

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
yep agree with Britishtrident

3 choices here

A get the car serviced by employer (it is effectively their car)
B Get her to be gentle on the loud pedal
C unlikely - convice employer that she cannot get the plug to achieve decent MPG & they can pay over the 10p although tax & ni the balance.

Sorry Blackcabs info based on a private car used on business Not a company car.

cheers D

Blackcab

posted on 4/8/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
if its the employers car then it is different as the allowances are nothing like, best speak to an accountant - I apy mine about £130 a year to sort all my bits out for self assesment.
Surely if its a company car then she will pay company car tax and either fuel tax or all her private miles seperately ? she shouldnt be out of pocket for pure company use

r1_pete

posted on 4/8/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, no you can't claim anything extra if its a company car, here's the relavent form: link

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/8/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
???? my 20 year old carb 1.8 bluebird 4 speed auto is getting 35mpg on petrol!

32mpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Humbug

posted on 4/8/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

My seven's got a Rover K series 1.4 (frmo a 2001 R25) and I get 35mpg - that's average over 3 years/6000 miles including a few trackdays, etc.

Ian D

posted on 4/8/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think your stuffed. I get the gov rate for my company car too. When choosing you need to do your sums to make sure your not out of pocket.

The system is designed to make you select eco cars.

hence there are now no 2.5 mondeos in company car fleets.

tul214

posted on 4/8/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with all of the above comments. I was getting the gov rates and was struggling to brake even so I have opted out.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

nick205

posted on 4/8/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Do we know what the car in questions is and what it's used for yet?

I'd be inclined to highlight to the employer that you're not funding the mileage from your own pocket so either the car needs to be changed quick smart or the mileage is "adjusted" to cover costs.

I'd still be looking for a fault with the car though at that sort of MPG.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.