Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crap day
LBMEFM

posted on 7/11/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Crap day

Had a crap day at Lydden today, spun off during the first session, on restart clutch had gone and oil pressure at zero. Over the winter I am going to take out the early 93' Fireblade engine fitted and replace with a later 954cc (I think thats the cc)one. The question is, is the prop shaft, engine mountings etc the same, ie just swop over and what mods will I have to make to the wiring. Barry

[Edited on 7/11/09 by LBMEFM]

jase380

posted on 7/11/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong but i was told by Damien at Daytuner that the only thing the 893 blade engine has in common with the later engines is that they all say Honda on them.... probably be able to use the prop but i would think everything else will need changing.
mark chandler

posted on 7/11/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
893 - 918/919 engines all share stuff, after that its all change. The only differnce you will notice is the gearbox is works opposite, in my case forward to go up the gears instead of backwards now, all bits in same position.

954 is also injected so you are basically changing everything so could be better off with an R1 as more common and powerful.

So whats up with it, I have some busted engines if you want to have a go at making it good.

Sticking a turbo on my standard 919 blade engine has made it massively powerful without weight penalty, not sure about life expecatncy though.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 7/11/09 by mark chandler]

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 7/11/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I did the swop 893 to 954 injection in my old Indy- my advice... forget it! It was a pain in the aris to fit and wire up (hiss is a pain)and was much less nice to drive with the later engine (management cut engine when below 800rpm or so making pulling away a real pain until really used to it- old 893 engine was easy peasy to get off the line in comparison. Oh and dont forget to include buying the power commander, totally different exhaust manifold and different engine mounts, and of course rolling road cost to set up. Oh and shortening the trumpets/doing away with airbox is an irritation also )- save yourelf the pain of dissapointment and fit a zx12 or similiar instead!!

To cap it all........ best 1/4 time 954 engine- 13.6s. 893 engine- 13.3s. How gutted was i though just proved what i thought ie new engine felt no faster on the road.

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

robinj66

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I missed your spin as I didn't arrive til later. Would've come & chewed the fat but you looked abit busy.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Nice looking car BTW

[Edited on 7/11/09 by robinj66]

LBMEFM

posted on 7/11/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the comments guys, maybe a re-think on engine then. You should have said hello Robin always nice to meet new people. Barry
mark chandler

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Best you pull the sump and have a scowl inside you engine then, I have an 893 which throw a rod, clutch oil pump etc should all be good, I think the pump works off a little chain. Odd that the clutch failed on a spin, you expect to stuff the starter if you fail to get the clutch down in time.
LBMEFM

posted on 7/11/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I will get back to you Mark when I have stripped the engine, won't be for a while yet as busy with work. Cheers for now Barry.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.