Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Torque Wrench and types of sockets
pdm

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Torque Wrench and types of sockets

Evening all,

I'm just trying to weigh up what torque wrench to buy and have some questions about what sockets to use.

It seems that most 1/2 drive torque wrenches will go somewhere between 200Nm and 300Nm. This seems like a lot - for instance it took a breaker bar and an impact socket to undo my crank pulley on my "practice" engine.

So my first question is - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a 1/2 torque wrench (or even a 3/4) and then buy an impact socket set to go with it. That would mean any bolts I am torquing up would be done with an impact (surface drive??) socket.

Secondly, would I need to adjust the torque setting to take into account the impact socket - ie. do you get extra torque because the socket grips the bolt better ?

Finally - I have a very old Halfords 12 sided set, will these be ok for a 3/8 torque wrench say upto 112Nm max ? (Most seem to go to somewhere upto 80Nm except Sealey which is 112Nm.)

Thanks
Paul

designer

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Don't try to delve too deep, or get too technical.

Buy a standard, click type, 1/2in wrench, and use with standard sockets.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve G

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend a Halfords Professional 1/2" socket set if you dont have a set already. If you break one they'll replace it under lifetime guarantee. If you're lucky there'll be someone local with a Trade Card too - so you can get it cheaper!!
londonsean69

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Secondly, would I need to adjust the torque setting to take into account the impact socket - ie. do you get extra torque because the socket grips the bolt better ?

No, the torque applies to the bolt, not the socket.

You can use standard sockets with a torque wrench or a breaker bar. If they let go, they are not going to fly all over the place like they would if used on an impact wrench

Sean

skodaman

posted on 12/11/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
1/2 inch fine for anything unless you're using it on a bike engine where I'd get a smaller one.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 12/11/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
You are applying progressive torque up to a set limit which is very different to trying to undo a stuck nut... so you will be safe as long as your sockets are not the cheap cheap ones made of butter

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

BenB

posted on 12/11/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't use an impact set. The ones I've got are slightly oversize to give a little room for the impact bit to work.

I'd use normal sockets. What are you going to need to torque to 300Nm?

pdm

posted on 13/11/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Morning - thanks for the help everyone - looks like I'm better off looking for a good set of 1/2 inch sockets.

BenB - I can't remember exactly what it was but I'm hoping to do a GKD Legend and 300Nn was the highest torque figure in the 3-series manual.....

britishtrident

posted on 13/11/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
The only jobs on which a torque wrench is really critical is tightening down the cylinder head and cam carrier so select a torque wrench with this in mind.

For 99% of the work you might do on a modern engines car a 3/8" drive torque wrench covers the ground, most 1/2" drive torque wrenches do not have a torque range suitable for engine cylinder head on modern engines such as the K series, but a 1/2" drive would be ideal for an Xflo or Pinto

With bolts over 10mm diameter using a torque wrench is not so critical as long they are properly tightened ---- how tight is properly tightened is something one learns, but for a 10mm bolt a good pull on an standard length socket ratchet is a about right, for 12mm dia bolts a rally hard pull on a standard socket ratchet, for 14mm a medium pull on a power bar.

[Edited on 13/11/09 by britishtrident]

will121

posted on 13/11/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
as said above ive been looking at getting a torque wrench to rebuild my zetec, and think a 3/8 drive will do most if not all jobs, and be short enough to get in tight spots. cylinder heads with stretch bolts only require a initial low torque setting with a larder 1/2 may not go low enough, with final tightening being a further angle of turn. things like hub bolts require a high torque setting but ive generally none these upto 'FT'

[Edited on 13/11/09 by will121]

britishtrident

posted on 13/11/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdm
Morning - thanks for the help everyone - looks like I'm better off looking for a good set of 1/2 inch sockets.

BenB - I can't remember exactly what it was but I'm hoping to do a GKD Legend and 300Nn was the highest torque figure in the 3-series manual.....

No you are looking at it the wrong way ---- at 300NM you don't need a torque wrench 300NM is in real terms is a 100 pounds apllied to the end of a 2foot 6" power bar ----- which is almost as much as you can apply.

You need to worry about the torque applied small diameter bolts.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

pdm

posted on 13/11/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Ok - seems I'm thinking about this too much and 1/2 might be overkill - especially given as I have all the 3/8 sockets I need (I've not had to buy anything during stripdown apart from the breaker bar for the pulley bolt).

What's the general consensus on things like hubs/suspension/propshafts - do you generally try and borrow what you need as its mostly a one off job ?

Thanks again for the advice.

02GF74

posted on 13/11/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
what you need:

1/2 in socket set - metric and imperial
1/2 in breaker bar
1/2 in torque wrench - most go to 210 lbft - dunno what that is metric.

if you have air powered impact wrench, then set of
1/2 in impact sockets - metric and imperial

if you want to get fancy
then 3/8 in and 1/4 in socket set and 3/8 in troque - this would be used on tiny things like those on motorcycles - for a car you won't need it.

even more fancy is to get deep socket set in the above sizes.

note that you would not use an impact wrench to torque up bolts since there is no calibration on how many lbfts or Nm they apply - ask anyone who has ever tried to undo wheel nuts after KwikFit monkey fitted them.

[Edited on 13/11/09 by 02GF74]

deezee

posted on 13/11/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
If your not using old car parts, I wouldn't waste your money on imperial sockets. I've not used one on refurbishing my Sierra parts, building the chassis or rebuilding by engine.

My 1/2" torque wrench is as long as a Machine Mart breaker bar, so why buy both. If your doing engine work you'll also probably need torx sockets, which are normally 3/4" drive. This can be proper fiddly with a 1/2" torque wrench and an adapter, so I have a smaller 3/4" torque wrench for fiddly engine work.

londonsean69

posted on 13/11/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezeeIf your doing engine work you'll also probably need torx sockets, which are normally 3/4" drive. This can be proper fiddly with a 1/2" torque wrench and an adapter, so I have a smaller 3/4" torque wrench for fiddly engine work.

Don't you mean 3/8"??

Sean

deezee

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by londonsean69

Don't you mean 3/8"??

Sean

Yes, Yes I do!

jacko

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Which ever you get remember to release it after use do not leave the spring in tension
pdm

posted on 13/11/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help everyone - plenty of food for thought before I go off to the autojumble this weekend !!
Bluemoon

posted on 13/11/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
If your not using old car parts, I wouldn't waste your money on imperial sockets. I've not used one on refurbishing my Sierra parts, building the chassis or rebuilding by engine.

My 1/2" torque wrench is as long as a Machine Mart breaker bar, so why buy both.

You should never use a torque wrench as a breaker bar... It may screw up the calibration, or worse.. Treat it as a high precision measuring instrument, which is what it is..

1/2" breaker bar and a decent 1/2" meteric socket set (eclipse set in my case) was the best set of tools for dismantling the dooner..

Dan

Uryen

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I torqued a bolt to 300Nm this morning. A hub nut on a 7series BMW. I have a 3/4" torque wrench that is only ever used for this job. For everything else the 1/2" covers it just fine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.