Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trade Plate rules
DarrenW

posted on 18/11/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Trade Plate rules

Hypothetically speaking

Your mate is a car trader. He has trade plates. You want his car. He offers you use of the trade plates for the journey home. Is this OK?

Lets say you insure the car yourself for the return journey, this presumably tells the Police etc that the car is no longer under ownership of the trader, is use of the plates still legal now?

I know trade plates only cover the cars tax but i thought they could only be used by the trader to demo the car to people - ie assumed he/her had to be in the car.

londonsean69

posted on 18/11/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
From the DVLA
2. Permitted uses of Trade Licences
a. A motor trader may use the trade licence on mechanically propelled vehicles only if they are temporarily in their possession in the course of their business as a motor trader.
A motor trader who is a manufacturer may also use the licence on a vehicle kept solely for research and development purposes or on vehicles, which are from time to time, submitted to them for testing by other manufacturers.
b. A vehicle tester may use the trade licence only on vehicles submitted to them for testing (including the vehicles trailer, its accessories or equipment).
c. Trade licences must be used only for the particular business purposes for which they were issued. These may include:
• Test or trial of a vehicle, its accessories or equipment during or immediately after construction, modification or repair;
• Return journey to public weighbridge or for registration or inspection by an authorised official;
• Undertaking a test trial for the benefit of a prospective purchaser or the press;
• Demonstrating the operation of a vehicle, its accessories or equipment, when being handed over to a purchaser and delivering it to the place where they intend to keep it;
• Movement of vehicles for valeting or accessory fitting; and between traders’ premises; between traders’ premises and a workshop where special equipment or accessories are fitted; between traders’ premises and a place where it starts or finishes a journey by train etc; between traders’ premises and auctions or other places of sale;
• Proceeding to and from a DVLA Local Office for an inspection associated with an application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration mark;
• A trade licence is not transferable. If ANY change occurs in the name, proprietorship, legal entity or address of the holder, the DVLA Local Office should be notified immediately;
• Proceeding to and from places of test and for proceeding to a place for breaking and dismantling.
Note A vehicle used under a trade licence is exempt from the MOT testing requirements only when being tested during the course of , or on completion of, repairs or when being driven to and from a pre-arranged MOT examination. However, a vehicle which has failed the test or which has no valid MOT must be towed to the place of breaking.
THERE IS NO AUTOMATIC EXEMPTION FROM
MOT TESTING FOR VEHICLES USED UNDER A
TRADE LICENCE.

found here

Probably NOT what you wanted

DarrenW

posted on 18/11/09 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I read that before posting. There was also another section suitably ambiguous that said they can be used by a person authorised by the trader to demo or trial the car. I found it strange hence asking the question. I assumed it meant if employed by the trader although it didnt actually say employed.

Its probs one of those risk calculation situations. If you displayed trade plates what is the chance of getting pulled over? Probs less likely than not having tax.

[Edited on 18/11/09 by DarrenW]

MikeR

posted on 18/11/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why not work for the bloke who ownes the trade plates and deliver the car to the prospective owner's place where they intend to keep it.
londonsean69

posted on 18/11/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Why not work for the bloke who ownes the trade plates and deliver the car to the prospective owner's place where they intend to keep it.

Exactly what I am doing, Mr occifer

owelly

posted on 19/11/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've used trade plates before (but never been stopped by the BiB) and as far as I'm concerned, and they guy who lends me his trade plates, as long as the vehicle is in the posession of the garage or being used for garage purposes, then off we go. I'm just one of his hired drivers.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.