Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cheap solar water heating
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
cheap solar water heating

Hi,

Just been discussing this with one of the guys at work and was wondering if anyone had used one of these as an outside solar water heater, you know painted matt black and mounted on the roof. I think it would work very well, especially if the side not facing the sun was insulated with foam.

That you think, would two this size give enough heat for normal hot water in a house?

For the winter when its not doing any heating anyway, I suppose it could be isolated and then drained dry to protect it from icing up inside.

You could even have an inline thermostat that only let water flow once it was at a certain temp so that at night the hot water stored would not be lost.

[Edited on 11/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 11/1/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't Dick Strawbridge do something with a rad and solar heating, on one of those "Its Not Easy Being Green" programmes he did?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
You should put it in a box with a "window" to stop convection.. (rad's are rather good at this)..

I'd get a scrap rad and make a test one to see how well it might work before going to to much hassle..

Dan

Wadders

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone that has done it, and it has provided trouble free hot water for them for the last 25 years, they live in Scarborough.

They have two on a south facing roof, inside a picture frame affair with perspex covers. the rads are painted black,with insulated silver reflectors to the rear.

I suppose it depends on your location, and how much hot water you use. Although an immersion heater back up could be fitted.

Antifreeze would stop it freezing in winter.

The only problem they have is if they go away in the summer, the neighbours have to come in and run off the hot water now and again.

Al.

Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hi,

Just been discussing this with one of the guys at work and was wondering if anyone had used one of these as an outside solar water heater, you know painted matt black and mounted on the roof. I think it would work very well, especially if the side not facing the sun was insulated with foam.

That you think, would two this size give enough heat for normal hot water in a house?

For the winter when its not doing any heating anyway, I suppose it could be isolated and then drained dry to protect it from icing up inside.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh I had thought of just putting them in the back garden (like you suggest in a box with a Perspex window) and running two buried insulated 22mm plastic pipes into the house and into the hot water tank under the stairs. There's an embankment at the back that faces south and with the panels on the ground they'd be able to use convection for circulation rather than a pump.

smart51

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
black panel collectors are the cheap but less effective option but they still work. They need to be kept in a sealed glazed box to keep the warm air next to the collector from mixing with the cold air outside. Most systems work by having a dual coil hot water tank and circulating antifreeze through the collector and one of the coils. That way, the hot water never goes through the collector.

The cheap way is to let the antifreeze thermo syphon round the loop. It is not as effective as a pumped system. Pumped systems have a temperature sensor on the outlet of the collector and in the hot water tank. When the collector temperature is more than the tank, the pump is switched on. If the collector cools, the pump is switched off.

They work on sunlight not heat so will work in the winter when it is cold. Except there is less sunlight in the winter. Make the collector big enough and you should have all the hot water you need for large parts of the year.

If you size your system right, on a sunny summer day, you'll have a full tank of piping hot water by mid afternoon. In the winter, you'll get a small rise in the temperature of your water tank during the day then when your boiler switches on in the evening, it has less work to do than if you didn't have solar heating. On a snowy day when no light hits the panel, your boiler will have to heat the water from cold.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for that, looks very simple and cheap to setup unlike most of the green ideas this looks like it would quickly pay for itself

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 11/1/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently building some DIY, very locost, evacuated tube phase change heat exchangers for this very purpose.

I even have a parabolic mirrored trough to focus the light, locost of course

Watch this space. I'll do a write up when I'm done.

[Edited on 11/1/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

scootz

posted on 11/1/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
We have a double solar-panel approximately 2-3 times the size of the radiator shown in the pic. Works in conjunction with a special dual-cylinder.

A good sunny day (we face Due-South) just about provides enough hot water to keep me and Mrs Scootz happy!

[img][/img]

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 11/1/10 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Lol... that lump of snow in the pic just came crashing down and scared the hell out of the neighbours cat!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 11/1/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Solartwin keep pestering me about this (cos I inquired about it once) and their systems works with the normal system you have. In the winter it still works but the pump slows down so you still have hot water you'd just be relying on the gas a little more. If you get it working well post the plans on here

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Pumped systems have a temperature sensor on the outlet of the collector and in the hot water tank. When the collector temperature is more than the tank, the pump is switched on. If the collector cools, the pump is switched off.

A guy here at work had a solar water heater fitted and the pump was just powered directly from a small electric solar panel with some ballast resistors to ensure the pump only started up when it was sunny enough. It didn't work very well at all, so we designed a pump controller using a couple of "one wire" temperature sensors. Works a treat now; it doesn't cool his tank down on bright cold days like it used to!

Ian D

posted on 11/1/10 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks interesting, Id like to see the ROI timeframe?
Ninehigh

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I saw on one of those scam builders programs that the ROI could be about 50 years or something stupid...

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I'm currently building some DIY, very locost, evacuated tube phase change heat exchangers for this very purpose.

That sounds very interesting...how on earth do you build evacuated phase change collectors at home? Or are you buying Chinese tubes and building your own system from them?

[Edited on 11/1/10 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.