Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pads
scutter

posted on 20/1/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pads

I'm planning on upgrading my brake pads from EBC greenstuff to something else.

Any suggestions?, running grooved and drilled capri vented discs and M16 calipers. I can't afford to go for a caliper upgrade just yet.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
megastu

posted on 20/1/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mintex 1144's are good !!!!

"Its a bike with four wheels "

A1

posted on 21/1/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ferrodo Racing pads are good. DS2500 compound would make a huge difference. Try demontweeks.
madteg

posted on 21/1/10 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Mintex 1144's and silkolene race fluid as it gives you a softer feel to pedal and will not over heat, funny feeling at first feels like you have still got some air in system. But works great.
britishtrident

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
If your brakes are running too cold
(1) fit a standard set of oem quality pads.
(2) fit a smaller bore master cylinders.

[Edited on 21/1/10 by britishtrident]

robocog

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Dan, just changed my braking system completely from
Greenstuffs, STD vented Sierra disk/caliper and std Sierra M/C
I could get the wheels to lock - but with a fair amount of pressure

Changed to KA calipers and Sierra solid disks
Using Mintex 1144's
and a smaller M/C from a Fiat

Night and day feel wise, but doesn't feel 'overbraked' - just a vast improvement

Not done enough miles to comment on pad/disk wear or been agressive enough to comment on fade

I would look into a smaller M/C if its pedal pressure you want to change

Trust you are OK and things are groovy your end mate

Regards
Rob

scutter

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I can feel a swap to solids coming, might as well do the Wilwood upgrade at the same time as i'll need different calipers for the change.

Looks like they'll get one more hammering at Silverstone in march then a change.

I'll ask about best pads for Wilwoods at the time.

Rob, all good here, just no motivation for working on the car apart from my march deadline.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 21/1/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds more like a brake downgrade only gain will be a reduction in unsprung weight and extra bling.

Your car already has an excess of braking capacity.
A lot of Locosters waste money on bling calipers and regret it --- a few even admit to it

quote:
Originally posted by scutter
I can feel a swap to solids coming, might as well do the Wilwood upgrade at the same time as i'll need different calipers for the change.

Looks like they'll get one more hammering at Silverstone in march then a change.

Rob, all good here, just no motivation for working on the car apart from my march deadline.

ATB Dan.

scutter

posted on 21/1/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
That maybe true, but the discs don't get warm even after hard use on track, so downgrading them to single discs will get more heat into them.

The weight reduction is an added bonus.

Yes bling is best, but only because the cost of getting non vented calipers either reconditioned or NOS is not much less than a pair of alloy calipers.

ATB Dan.

phelpsa

posted on 21/1/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
That sounds more like a brake downgrade only gain will be a reduction in unsprung weight and extra bling.

Your car already has an excess of braking capacity.
A lot of Locosters waste money on bling calipers and regret it --- a few even admit to it

quote:
Originally posted by scutter

ATB Dan.

If you want a nice, lightweight aluminium caliper with good pad availability then the Peugeot/Citroen Bendix calipers bolt straight on....

yet to actually try them but all is looking good at the moment!

[img]

bigfoot4616

posted on 21/1/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
previous owner fitted vented discs to mine along with some wilwoods. i'm now using the mintex 1144's and they seem to work quite well, do get some heat in them on track.

keep thinking i should replace them with some solid discs and new wilwoods even if just for the weight savings.
could do with finding out the difference in weight between solid and vented discs.

IMO wilwoods are worth the money for the weight saving alone, they are relatively cheap after all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.