Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cellulose based paints on POR15
jimgiblett

posted on 28/9/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cellulose based paints on POR15

Anyone know if I will have a problem spraying over it, I can't find much info on POR15. I am happy to spray an etch primer on first. POR sell there own etch primer but it is nearly £20 for a rattle can

I ask this as I know hammerite is a pain as it is silicon based.

Jim

marcjagman

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Filler primer then flat down, celly paint does sink a bit.
Mark Allanson

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Because solvents tend to be much milder these days, cellulose will pickle up almost anything you paint over these days - you shouldn't really be able to obtain it as its sale is 'illegal'

Paints are designed as systems so you should use whatever is recommended by whoever manufactures POR15.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

marcjagman

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly every car paint supplier I know will happily sell you celly paint, not illegal till 2014, just being phased out.
Peteff

posted on 28/9/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I buy cellulose from local car spares shop and have no trouble obtaining it. It has a sticker on the can stating mixed paint to be used to paint a new vehicle or other parts. It's just a get around to still supply it to the general public as they never actually ask what you are going to use it on. I've not had any reaction problems with anything I use it on if it's been on there long enough to harden.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/9/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone here put celly over synthetic?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

iank

posted on 28/9/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
There is a tie-coat in the POR15 range, but unfortunately it doesn't support cellulose.
I'd call frost and ask them if it's feasible.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8188&frostProductName=POR15%20Tie%20Coat%20Primer%20(946ml)

Edit2:

Forget Frost email support@por15.com
There is lots of information on POR15 on their website unfortunately celly topcoats isn't there (or I didn't see it).

[Edited on 28/9/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/9/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
...........but unfortunately it doesn't support cellulose........

I cannot think why

jimgiblett

posted on 28/9/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm I'll call Frosts. I have a tin of POR15 but didn't want to use it if I have to scrape it all off later.

Thanks

Jim

BillHoll

posted on 29/9/10 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you are worried about the compatibilty of any paint your paint supplier can supply isolating primer which providing you do not break through the coat when rubbing down will allow you to use cellulose over anything.
jimgiblett

posted on 29/9/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillHoll
If you are worried about the compatibilty of any paint your paint supplier can supply isolating primer which providing you do not break through the coat when rubbing down will allow you to use cellulose over anything.

Will the primer stay attached to the POR15 though?

- Jim

BillHoll

posted on 29/9/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it sticks to anything, but to check the product is called Barcoat made by Upol. There is a data sheet available on the internet.
BillHoll

posted on 29/9/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it sticks to anything, but to check the product is called Barcoat made by Upol. There is a data sheet available on the internet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.