Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to mount Nose Cone
first350

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
How to mount Nose Cone

I've already mounted my nose cone and everything lines up…I'm using nut plates on the top chassis rails w/ bolts and wide washers to secure it. My issue is that once I have my exhaust/turbo and Intake/piping installed, I won't have easy access to the nose cone bolts.

How have others dealt w/ this? I've been thinking of doing Dzuz D-ring style fasteners (similar to many motorcycles)…but that adds the D-ring heads to the outside of the nose cone.

Here's some pics of my current set-up.

Side shot…you can see the end of the nose cone is very close to the engine

Looking forward into the nose cone. On the left side you can see the bolts securing the nose cone. (it's the same on the right side)

Top veiw: Once the intake and exhaust are installed, there's no way my arm will reach the bolt heads.

Krismc

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mines also tight, i fixed at front corner on either side and then made brackets that attach from front of nose cone too the first chassis rail under the car.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

first350

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
Mines also tight, i fixed at front corner on either side and then made brackets that attach from front of nose cone too the first chassis rail under the car.

So you fasten it from underneath? any pics?

Cheers!!

jossey

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Alan m just uploaded these

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=13002.jpg

have a look at his other pics.

that looks like the best way as you can roll it forward to get to rad etc.

only change i would make is i woudl add the hinge to the inside of the nose. aint got to that yet so there maybe a reason he hasnt.

cheers

dave

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
first350

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
^ thanks for the pic - I've thought about a hinge, but I don't think it'd help b/c I still need to secure the top somehow.

maybe BEC guys just have more room around the nose cone??

jossey

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
oh ye bec guys will have more room i have a tiny rad and oil rad infront of the chassis so it will easy rotate to gain access.

i would try make sure you can get the nose off pretty easy if you need to.

Maybe you can use welded nuts on the underside of the main chassis rail and sliding through the nose cone but put a butterfly style nut on the top so you can get it off without a nightmare.

good luck with it though.

:O)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 12/3/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
you could fit another set of rubber bonnet catches on the outside to secure the nose from the back, and make a pair of L-shaped alloy brackets bolted to the underside of the steering rack mounts! i used riv nuts like you on the inside but made mounts for the bottom edge. take a look in my blog. the nose fits perfectly.

first350

posted on 13/3/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys...once I get the turbo and intake piping installed, I'll take another look to see how far I can get my arm in there. the lower mount sounds like a good idea!
daniel mason

posted on 13/3/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
this is what i did to secure the front

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.