Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade gearbox problems.
Racin-Sparky

posted on 18/7/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade gearbox problems.

Hi there,
Im a total newbie to BEC and locostbuilders too! What a great, informative forum this is.
Well a little about me.....
I recently purchased a Raw Striker with a 954 fireblade engine, with the intention of a few Track days and Sprints and wkend driving.
Ive had little running in the striker as it feels like its not stopped raining since I parted with my cash.
But wow what a buzz when I have been for a spin!

Now for the bad bit...
Ive only completed about 40 miles on 3 trips and Im getting used to the paddle shift and general feel to the car.

When I change from 1st to 2nd occasionally it goes to neutral, I think this maybe me not using the paddle hard enough, but Im not sure.

I was cruising along in traffic (40-50mph), stopped at a roundabout, pulled away taking it easy, went through from 1st to 3rd ok. Got to 4th and I can hear a rattling noise like putting a screwdriver onto the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

The noise was noticeable at low revs, press the clutch and noise stops, I gave it a little throttle and the noise reduced and it all felt smooth. All other gears were fine.
I short-shifted and managed to get home ok.

Ive got the Honda workshop manual and the Haynes manual, Ive been searching the forums for advice....
Just wondering if you guys could give me some much needed advice, before I do anything to drastic.

Many Thanks in advance.

ReMan

posted on 18/7/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome
Its a bit quiet and late but starter for 10

Optomistically from what you describe it may be that your gear linkage is hard work or you are being to gentle with it.
Hitting neutral between 1 and 2 and a noise from 4th that got better sounds like not engaging fully.
And they work better when your not "taking it easy".
Oh and dont short shift either, 10k or nothing

Where abouts are you pop that irn your location and post a pic to prove you've really got it ;

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

marmot0

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, hope your enjoying the car and sorry to hear you are having some issues. Regarding 1st to 2nd you need to be positive with it as you are going across neutral. Never had any problems with it popping out of 2nd. With regards 4th gear, is it making a complete racket with loss of drive or is it just a bit noisy if the latter don't worry it has always been like that. When I first drove the car I found all the transmission noises a bit disconcerting don't worry about it and make sure you keep the revs up as it will start to clatter if you let it coast. Enjoy
Racin-Sparky

posted on 19/7/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys.
It doesn't pop out of 2nd, just hits neutral before it gets to 2nd......Ill try shifting harder.
Im using the clutch to shift, when and how should I be using the clutch/no clutch on shifting?

Hopefully it will stop raining later and Ill try 4th gear out again.
Thanks

aka Keith

posted on 19/7/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Racin,

I hardly every use the clutch to shift up even at low speed....

put some pressure on the paddle to shift up, and simply take some pressure of the throttle, and the dog gears will slot into place...It is important that you put some pressure on the gear linkage before coming of the gas...

If you are driving it like a car box, then you need to relearn - - -thottle down, pressure on the gear change , lift of throttle fractionally before putting your foot down again and it will slot into gear.....not throttle, clutch depressed, of throttle, change gear, clutch released, back on throttle like a car box.

I hope that makes sense

Cheers
Craig

[Edited on 19/7/11 by aka Keith]

[Edited on 19/7/11 by aka Keith]

BobM

posted on 19/7/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure your gear shift mechanism has adequate range of movement to shift cleanly and completely. Check at the gearbox end, the paddle end and make sure the cable/pivots etc. are moving freely.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Racin-Sparky

posted on 21/7/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Went for a drive last night much happier now with clutchless shifting...thanks for the pointers!

It's still rattling in 4th at low revs, and stops when I give it some.
I never noticed the noise before, although I was probably to busy giving it some gas to notice
I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
Thanks for replys.

marmot0

posted on 21/7/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

That sounds perfectly normal, glad your enjoying the car, any further problems just u2u you me

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.