Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silvertop to blacktop?
rich201283

posted on 15/10/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Silvertop to blacktop?

Finally got the silvertop 2.0 zetec out today due to low oil pressure, Took main bearing caps off and the bearings are scored aswell as the crank. Also measures sump depth and pickup, There is about a 1cm beween the pickup and bottom of the sump.

My question is, do i change it to a blacktop, it it worth the extra effort? has it got noticeable more power? Is the exhaust on the same side? will the engine mounts fit?

Regards Lee

monck

posted on 15/10/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there i had a 1.8 silver-top nothing wrong with it but got a new crate zetec blacktop 2.0

im doing the change now its not the hardest thing in the world but if you could find a good 2ltr silvertop it would be straight swap ovisly so no changes at all!

I dought your notice the extra power a blacktop has , if there actually is any but i guess finding a good silvertop is the issue ..
i have my 1.8 still but ovisly you won't want to swap a 2ltr for that so i wount offer it you ...

cheers

monck

posted on 15/10/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Also

Exhaust is on same side , Same fitment

Engine mounts on mine are the same, but i heard somewhere some cant be used with both silvertop blacktop

coozer

posted on 15/10/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I swapped from a 1993 silvertop to a 2003 blacktop.

More or less the same, intake and exhaust the same, only bit was the nearside engine mount needed fettling a bit, holes in different places. Nothing that wasn't sorted with the drill and welder.

Plus fabbing an idler for the belt as the water pumps go different ways. Also had to fab a new mount for the laternator but that was down to my layout and chassis spacings.

Good luck.
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

lotusmadandy

posted on 15/10/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have just swapped from a 2.0 silvertop to a 2.0 blacktop.
Both engine mounts bolted straight on and are in the same place
but i have had to fab a new alternator mount and idler pulley bracket.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.