Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it jut me.....? (WARNING - DOMESTIC CHORE RANT)
nick205

posted on 9/4/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is it jut me.....? (WARNING - DOMESTIC CHORE RANT)

...or is ironing shirts the most pointless and unrewarding task known to modern man?

I've got a selection of shirts from various places; Debenhams, M&S etc. Not one of them will iron any sense after it's been washed and dried (open air or tumbled). Consequently I try to iron them damp from the washing machine. Still they look un-ironed despite my best efforts

(apologies for the domestic rant, but it pi55es me off to the point of distraction)

mookaloid

posted on 9/4/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
life is too short to spend it ironing shirts

I would pay someone before doing it myself

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Peteff

posted on 9/4/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's just you Our iron has been in the cupboard for years now as we found it a bit boring and after you've had something on for an hour it looks like it was ironed and worn anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/4/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I rarely iron - I have a great wife! But when I do I use our steam iron, one with a base unit that makes the steam - its well good, takes 1/2 the time to iron a shirt than a normal iron, and it does a better job, especially of heavier cotton shirt.

Plus if your watching tele and someone comes on you dont like, you can pretend to steam there face - STSSSSSSSSSS!

RK

posted on 9/4/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I was thinking about this the other day when I was.. ironing. You could do what Prince Charles does, and send the servant out to get another one every day. Unless I have been misjudging obscenely rich people all these years.
Lawnmower

posted on 9/4/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
You need to change your perceptipon of ironing, instead of thinking of it as a meer houshold chore, think of the "Iron" as a power tool!
Rod Ends

posted on 9/4/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Technology advances ...

You don't need to iron any shirts, just hang them on a clothes-hanger damp.

loggyboy

posted on 9/4/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
My wife does all the ironing
Dave Ashurst

posted on 9/4/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Make a shirt ironing machine? Like this perhaps (but cheaper)... http://www.gizmag.com/go/2571/
morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Ironing is a massive waste of time, I'm not made up of flat surfaces so it doesn't look ironed after I've worn it, especially since I wear my shirts under a jacket and then a larger coat.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

RK

posted on 10/4/12 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
The key is to wear a sweater or a jacket. That way nobody ever sees it. It is a total and utter waste of time. Vacuuming is another I hate, especially since I can directly follow the line of crap from outside that goes in the front door. I've never been organised enough to hire anybody for the jobs though. Staff is as much a bother as doing it yourself so you can't win. It even gets annoying in hotels, if you spend enough time in them, although I will let you know how it is in the Hermitage in Monaco, where I'm going in june.

And these people whose wives do it pay in all sorts of other ways, though they revel in gloating to the rest of us. There is a price for everything and we who have been in the game a while, know it full well.

owelly

posted on 10/4/12 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
My work shirts go from tumble drier to hanger and never see the iron. Besides, there's no room in my shirts for creases when I'm in them.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting thread.

Anyone got any pictures of one of these 'iron' things?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

amalyos

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Interesting thread.

Sorry I have no idea what their talking about!!

My shirts go in a basket in the bathroom, and the washing fairies do them. They just magically appear in my wardrobe.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

r1_pete

posted on 10/4/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
What is all this talk of ironing shirts? I put them in a basket, and a couple of days later they are back in my wardrobe ready to wear.

Strange thing is when my wife goes away for a couple of days it stops working, maybe the basket is a little temperemental and needs replacing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 10/4/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Technology advances ...

You don't need to iron any shirts, just hang them on a clothes-hanger damp.

Fantasy, pure fantasy...I have one and they do not work.

nick205

posted on 10/4/12 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
To all those whose wives perform their duties....well done (although I'm guessing you're all of the older than me generation where there was more acceptance of wifely duties ). SWMBO has attempted the task and doesn't overly complain about it, sadly she seems to iron more creases in than out leaving me to do it again anyway

morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to my mother today about this very subject and she told me she didn't like the idea of me using an iron. Next time I go to see her I'm going to get that in writing and carry it around to show anyone who complains.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jerryscales

posted on 10/4/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
...or is ironing shirts the most pointless and unrewarding task known to modern man?

I've got a selection of shirts from various places; Debenhams, M&S etc. Not one of them will iron any sense after it's been washed and dried (open air or tumbled). Consequently I try to iron them damp from the washing machine. Still they look un-ironed despite my best efforts

(apologies for the domestic rant, but it pi55es me off to the point of distraction)

BE A MAN ABOUT IT............USE A BLOODY IRONING SERVICE!!!!

Proby

posted on 10/4/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
My Mrs' does 99% of the ironing, I only iron the odd shirt when I'm desperate! The washing/ironing are the only household chores that I can get away without my turn! New age women eh?
SteveWalker

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've not tried it, but hanging damp clothes in a cupboard with a fan and a dehumidifier is supposed to dry clothes well while leaving them very easy to iron.
Rod Ends

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Don't kill your wife ...
Confused but excited.

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Do what I do; buy shirts that don't need ironing, or before I got these I used to do collar cuffs and the bit at the front that shows. Once you have had a suit jacket on for a few minutes the rest will be all crinkled anyway.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

nick205

posted on 12/4/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerryscales
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

BE A MAN ABOUT IT............USE A BLOODY IRONING SERVICE!!!!

Trust me it's a serious consideration - if only for the fact I can send them back when they're not done properly

skydivepaul

posted on 12/4/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Interesting thread.

Sorry I have no idea what their talking about!!

My shirts go in a basket in the bathroom, and the washing fairies do them. They just magically appear in my wardrobe.

+1 for me

i have a good wife though who must talk nicely to the washing fairies

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.