Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Technique for cutting down coil springs
Dangle_kt

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Technique for cutting down coil springs

I'm making some modifications to a motorbike I have, which requires much firmer springs for the forks, I have read extensively that cutting a spring down increases its spring rate - so I will be getting some alu spacers made to take the few cm I am removing, thereby keeping the ride height, but increasing the spring rate. (I understand this isn;t the best option, but its a free option vs. bespoke springs which will definitely not be free!)

However I have drawn a blank at the best way to do it - I was thinking, vice/ angle grinder - but the top of the spring is flat, and if I chop it, it won't be.

Anyone done this before, and can offer some advise?

If not I'll just give it a go - the bike was a cheapy project, and I can buy replacement parts if needs be (just not bespoke springs when a free option is available) the worst that can happen is that I'm not to impressed with the results.

I will need a heavier rear spring and potential revalve for the rear shock - which I can't DIY - so that will need to be paid for.

mark chandler

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are packing out with a spacer then simple grind a bed in the spacer to locate the curly end

Yes cutting down does increase the rate, think of a coil spring straightened as a straight rod, you can twist a long bar easily not a short one this is all a spring is a tightly packaged rod.

No problem doing this, in the past I have cut a hoop off to increase the rate and moved the platform up on mcpheason struts to maintain ride height.

Regards Mark

nick205

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
As Mark suggested, cut a seat into the ally spacer for the cut end of the spring to locate in. If you look at a typical McPherson strut, the lower seat has something similar to help locate the end of the spring.

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys
Autosri

posted on 9/5/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt think you could use an angle grinder on spring steel as the heat softens the metal
Bare

posted on 10/5/12 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
Geeeez! Wrap a soaking wet rag around the spring where the cut is going to be done.
Then use your Angle grinder .
Wet rag will keep temps under control happily on a wee Moto spring.
Car springs require sitting in a bucket of water
Grind a nice flat coil on the messed cut end Then cut a PVC (plastic :-) Pipe as a spacer.. It's what Pro susp tuners like Racetech use. Clearly this works "fine".

[Edited on 10/5/12 by Bare]

minitici

posted on 10/5/12 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just remember that cut springs could go coil-bound at much lower applied force.
Useful info here

[Edited on 10/5/12 by minitici]

Peteff

posted on 10/5/12 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Cut it off to a point and weld a washer to it if you want the base flat, I don't worry about the heat it will only be local. I've had to grind new ones to fit in spring seats before and they have had no problems

[Edited on 10/5/12 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.