Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: change of email address? petition
steve m

posted on 8/6/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
change of email address? petition

So, ive been getting some real strange crap emails, in my in box for a long time, so earlier today, i changed my email address. on my profile to a friends redundent account,

And got 53 emails in 5 hours,on the friends account, that were exactly the same shite ones in my account registered to Locostbuilders

I belive, that most of the spam emails i get, are from this site, so i propose. we are allowed to provide either no email address, or a able to create a spam filtered account ?

as for the new members, posts, i personley would delete, any that did not have a "normal" name tag ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

loggyboy

posted on 8/6/13 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I cant see where the registered email is displayed publicly.

Mistral Motorsport

number-1

posted on 9/6/13 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
what sort of spam messages? Are they all linked to this site? If they are could it be you have opted in for email notifications to posts?
blakep82

posted on 9/6/13 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
can't say i've ever had any spam messages linked to this site (that i know of, and certainly not 53 in 5 hours)
i suspect the issue is from elsewhere tbh.

in fact, as for spam messages, i had 1 on the 8th june, and 3 on the 7th june, TOTAL, thats it
i get offered chinese welding wire every now and then, but i doubt thats from the site

[Edited on 9/6/13 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 9/6/13 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Never had a spam from this site either.

Maybe you have something on your PC that's broadcasting your profile ?

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/6/13 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
no issues here either...

In fact most spam isn't even addressed to me, it is an old tiscali account, and always has another address as the recipient. No idea why..

britishtrident

posted on 9/6/13 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
My registered email address points to a dedicated mail box for handling mail from the Forum that I only check once in a blue moon, it is always empty except for account related messages from my ISP. However my ISP (Plusnet) has fairly good spam filtering.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 9/6/13 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
as for the new members, posts, i personley would delete, any that did not have a "normal" name tag ?

steve

This would be a challenge, for example my username is a nickname I've had for more than a decade, but you wouldn't exactly call it 'normal'.

But on the same subject, what happened to the 'phone call' part of registration? I remember having to listen to a minute or so recording that verified that I was human.

adithorp

posted on 9/6/13 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Not had any problems. Of course I get a bit of spam but nothing linked to this site as far as I know... but I don't open anything that isn't from someone I know AND the title makes sense to me.

I take it from you seeming to know what's in the spam, you're opening them?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Have you unchecked the "make e-mail viewable by others" box on your profile?

I don't think I get any spam via LCB

theduck

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly don't get spam to that degree and pretty sure my email address is visible to others on here?

ETA actually seemingly not. Maybe that's the issue?

[Edited on 9/6/13 by theduck]

steve m

posted on 9/6/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I do not open any of the spam emails, but on my normal yahoo account get on average 10-15 a day, and this is the only site, that has this address in a profile, plus mine is hidden, all of any ther sites, that requires an email address, has another email that i use for storing info, like car insurance, etc

So, i presumed it was this account, that was sending me all this crap,

I could be wrong!!

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Matt_C

posted on 9/6/13 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not having any issues with spam from this site. I set up a new account a year or so ago which I don't use for all the random sign ups that require an e-mail address. On my spam e-mail address I use I get 50+ spam messages a day, I just purge it every few days, never anything useful that goes there. (excepts for about 10 different bank account frozen every week, only requiring all my bank details to reactivate!)
britishtrident

posted on 9/6/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Hi

I do not open any of the spam emails, but on my normal yahoo account get on average 10-15 a day, and this is the only site, that has this address in a profile, plus mine is hidden, all of any ther sites, that requires an email address, has another email that i use for storing info, like car insurance, etc

So, i presumed it was this account, that was sending me all this crap,

I could be wrong!!

Steve

Yahoo = spam

In years back in the very early days of broadband I used BT as an ISP when they did a deal with Yahoo to use BT Yahoo as home page and moved the mail accounts to Yahoo servers suddenly my mail box was filling up with spam.

I was so unhappy with this I switched ISPs to Zen. Zen mailboxes were spam free but their customer service when I had a line problem was terrible, sometimes paying a lot of extra dosh doesn’t get you better service.

Currently my email goes to couple of email addresess in my domain name then redirects to mail boxes under my ISP account. A couple of email address are used only where there is danger of the address being harvested for spam for example spicedham@-------.co.uk and spicedham@---------.plus.net

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jossey

posted on 9/6/13 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
No issues here sounds like spyware on ye PC.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chillis

posted on 9/6/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think Yahoo is your problem not this site, I used to get loads of spam - from myself! turns out it was something hiding on yahoo even though I hadn't used the account for years.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.