Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine dating questions
luke2152

posted on 3/9/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
engine dating questions

Well I'm a fair way off finishing but thought I'd ask a few questions about the IVA and registration process. I believe emissions standards changed in mid '95 and go off engine manufacture date. I'm using a '96 registered mx5 donor so I guess there is a good chance the engine was made before the cutoff. Would that mean I don't need a cat and get an easier test? (If it is made before cutoff and I could prove it). If not could I just get a Q plate and avoid emission test and cat altogether (that would sound too easy!). Not that I'd expect to fail but everything else you can check yourself by looking or feeling....
Slimy38

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you're in a similar boat to me! I went for a 92 MX5, but I've noticed the V5 doesn't have the engine number on it so I'm going to have to prove the age. I suspect a letter or phone call to Mazda will get me the details I need. Fingers crossed it's not had a new engine otherwise I'm screwed!

I was also aiming for the August 95 cutoff date (hopefully I'm well clear of it!). From what I've read, there are two parts to emissions tests;

1. The emissions test for IVA. This is based on engine date regardless of whether you're going for a Q plate or not. So even if you want to go for the easy route, if you have a young enough engine you'll still need to meet the emissions for an IVA pass.
2. Emissions test for MOT's. This is where the Q plate gets the 'smoke test only' rule, whereas an age related plate will get the appropriate emissions restrictions. Either way will have been recorded earlier and will be present on your V5C (if the DVLA do their job right!).

I also 'believe' that requiring a catalytic convertor is not necessarily part of the deal, although it's extremely difficult to get the lower emissions without one.

I hope someone will either confirm or deny this interpretation of the rules.

Slimy38

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
This might help you in your search;

http://mx5-haynes-roadster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/applying-for-proof-of-donorengine-age.html

(I hope Skov doesn't mind me linking to his blog, but it's a really useful bit of info!)

skov

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind at all
adithorp

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
The emissions test at IVA is in no way related to what registration you're going for. IVA run be VOSA and reg' done by DVLA.

Which of the two types of emission test you have to do does depend on the date of manufacture of your engine. If you can't prove it's from pre' the cut of date you'll need a cat to pass.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

dhutch

posted on 4/9/13 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
engine dating questions

Saw the title and my automatic response was 'match.com?'

Daniel

luke2152

posted on 4/9/13 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
engine dating questions

Saw the title and my automatic response was 'match.com?'

Daniel

Ah yes meet BP2. She is a tight Japanese 17 year old who loves a good thrashing

coyoteboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Similar boat to me. If you can't prove exact engine age you will have to meet the iva test for the newest possible age of that engine model. (I.e. my engine was made 95-97, it gets tested as a 97.)
MOT is a different matter.

loggyboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Ah yes meet BP2. She is a tight Japanese 17 year old who loves a good thrashing

Eeek im abount to rip the arse out of a 15 year old dagenham girl called Zeta - any relation to Catherine in wonder?

[Edited on 4-9-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 4/9/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a 17 year old German

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.