Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Roundabout fences
joneh

posted on 28/11/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Roundabout fences

So they've installed those annoying fences at the roundabout at the top of The Avenue in Southampton. You know, the ones that reduce visibility forcing people to enter a fast roundabout at crawling speed.

Anyway, the local councillor let us know how much the cost Southampton council....

Over £20k! It's only four panels!!!

turbodisplay

posted on 28/11/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
They don`t work with me, I'm used to looking forward, so for me I'm thinking, as I can't see a threat:
clear, clear, clear - oh no it isn`t!
Stupid nanny state!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
slingshot2000

posted on 28/11/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
£20,000.00!

That's fer nowt !

Durham County Council have just re-built a roundabout close to here and took a flying guess at the cost . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . .

. . . . . . . . . .they estimated . . . . . . £6,000,000.00 (6milion to re-build a fecking roundabout)

18months later, when it opened

£18,000,000.00 (18million)

I wish the 4 full size JCBs standing about for most of the 18months had been mine, on full hire rates !

steve m

posted on 28/11/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I whish we just had roundabouts, but down here we have to endure a roundabout with 4 entry and 4 exits, and all the roads are duel carriageways, but around the roundabout has 3 lanes ???

yep, bloody confusing,

and then they stick fourteen sets off traffic lights on the whole thing

ITS a bloody nightmare !!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

owelly

posted on 28/11/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I recall a local(ish) highways authority planting loads of shrubs around the roundabouts to reduce visability to reduce speeds and therefore make the roads safer. The local council thought, 'hmm, that looks a bit dangerous' so they trimmed all the foliage to the extent that all the greenery died...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They don`t work with me, I'm used to looking forward, so for me I'm thinking, as I can't see a threat: clear, clear, clear - oh no it isn`t! Stupid nanny state!

They rely on people having common sense and slowing to a suitable speed if there's poor visibility....

Seriously though, if you approach a junction with poor visibility, isn't it human nature to slow down to see if it's safe? Or is the cyclists (and motorcyclists) assertion that car drivers drive like they're in their own safe little bubble world correct and people really do just blast through unless they physically see a threat?

It's the same process with the "remove all signs" and it generally works, apart from those who should probably be gently coaxed away from the gene pool for the sake of human progression

Theshed

posted on 28/11/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
In Turkey they used to put the remains of a crashed car on top of the roundabout .... tended to slow me up a bit!
turbodisplay

posted on 28/11/13 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Down south we don`t have this problem, first time I came across this was on the A1. It is so abnornal not being able to use foresight!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
twybrow

posted on 29/11/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen the fences in question this week on the Avenue, and I hate these things. I think they make it more dangerous - I nearly got T-boned this week at another junction where they have done this - you cannot see as you approach the roundabout, so you have to start moving and then look - not good. Get Rid of them, and all of the other road clutter, and let drivers concentrate on driving!
SteveWalker

posted on 29/11/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I always thought that roundabouts were intended to keep traffic flowing. Fences or bushes blocking sightlines simply cause slowing almost to a halt, whereupon the people behind have had to slow and you've lost so much speed that you need a much larger gap to pull out into as you are going slower than the traffic on the roundabout. You then end up with queues forming on the approaches to the roundabout.
Peteff

posted on 29/11/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
The ones round here are slatted so if you are not going too fast you can see through them anyway so no problem really.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mike2704

posted on 29/11/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
bloody fences

Hi, We have one of these roundabout fences at the top of Mousehole lane Southampton already caused one accident motorbiker taken off his bike. I think they cause more trouble than than they are worth. £20,000 for fence panels that block your view coming onto the roundabout downright dangerous I would say.
Rant over with now time for cup of coco and sleep Mike

BenB

posted on 29/11/13 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
They're useless because they ignore human nature. There was a famous study looking at the way we constantly live our lives at a certain level of risk. Can't remember where but there was a road which crossed a railway track without a barrier. There were trees both sides of the track so as people drove towards the track they couldn't see the train. There were a few crashes between trains and cars so they cut the trees down meaning people could see the trains earlier. Which meant people drove quicker and they still basically had the same number of crashes....

So having fences will slow down the traffic but it won't prevent crashes.... So it depends what you're trying to do I guess!

paulf

posted on 29/11/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I remember when organisations used to put up temporary advertising notices on roundabouts and the council and highways departments used to remove them and complain about the dangers that they caused.Now in this area there are roundabouts built up in the middle with trees planted on them and others with advertising hoardings and signs up inviting company's to sponsor the roundabout.
They also built a roundabout in place of an existing T junction on the A6 locally and the road level and camber is so badly uneven that there were a few accidents in the first week of it opening and a speed limit had to be put into place to make it safer.
Paul

morcus

posted on 29/11/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone post a picture as I'm finding it really difficult to imagine what your on about. Are the fences on the actual round about?

I personally think the Roundabout doesn't really work especially around here where we also have lights on most of them, or my favourite round here, lights on most of the entrances, but not all of them, so you can't get out of the ones without lights.

Biggest problem though is people don't seem capable of using them propperly and drive in the wrong lanes, stop blocking the roundabout, make no attempt to slow down until the point where they can actually see whether they have to stop or not then slam on the brakes, the list goes on.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

skov

posted on 29/11/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Can someone post a picture as I'm finding it really difficult to imagine what your on about. Are the fences on the actual round about?

They go down the central reservation as you approach the roundabout, blocking your vision of what's already on it:

Bloody stupid idea...

morcus

posted on 29/11/13 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
That makes more sense than what I imagined, but to be honest most of the round abouts I have to use either have lights on them or you have to pretty much stop any way due to volume of traffic or visability from buildings. Unless the round about is almost always empty I don't see it would make much difference.

Isn't it usually next quarter that the councils do all kinds of stupid stuff like this to use up whats left of the budget to overcharge us on council tax?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

loggyboy

posted on 29/11/13 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Had em round our way for years, some can be worked around with careful observation but they are silly idea that only slow the people that wouldnt be taking a risk of entering the Rabout fast anyway.
http://goo.gl/maps/YvcUL

Mistral Motorsport

Ninehigh

posted on 1/12/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Some got put up round our way, never even noticed it until a car magically appeared. When it's dark you can't see the difference between a dark bush that you don't think is there and a dark road with no car on it

joneh

posted on 1/12/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's mental, I've had people pulling out in front of me twice now! Grrr.

It's as if they can't see me it must be clear!

coozer

posted on 1/12/13 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a largish roundabout at the bottom of my road which was once quite flat and you could see over it..

Now after spending £££,£££K moving it over to one side by about 1 metre and putting it at an insane angle you now look like your approaching a hump back bridge and the middle of the roundabout is piled up with soil and grass and plants and trees.

Now couple that with dozy twats not using indicators its a death trap! Good job the whole things 30mph..

On a more positive note the change in level and camber mean you can get the back end out easy, even in a fwd car!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.