Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Post office parcel rip off
Not Anumber

posted on 9/12/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Post office parcel rip off

Whats the most affordable way to send parcels of about 3kg.

Ive just sold a bunch of old laptop computers for spares that I had always meant to fix but never got round to.

Other laptops on Ebay had postage charges of £ 6 to £ 7 so i did mine the same then had a nasty surprise in the Post Office this morning when they charged a whacking £ 12.92 per laptop. I couldnt be arsed to drag them all back home and start ringing round cariers so bit the bullet but I hae another couple to send off. Are Parcel2Go any use for this sort of weight ? Ive only ever used them for large bits such as gearboxes and diffs before and kept to the Post Office for most small stuff, might be time to change

scootz

posted on 9/12/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Interparcel... most of their options carry £50 of standard insurance and I wouldn't imagine you would pay more than £7-ish for a basic service.

Also worth noting their carriers will collect from you!

It's Evolution Baby!

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 942
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 9/12/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
MyHermes.co.uk - £5.40
twybrow

posted on 9/12/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
myhermes and parcel2go have been very cheap for me in recent months. But you get what you pay for. With the Post Office, you walk in, they do the paperwork, and away it goes. With the low cost couriers, typically you ave to take it somewhere to drop it off, having downloaded all of the paperwork and stuck it on etc... It is just a different service.
zetec

posted on 9/12/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Never use PO now as they charge too much. MyHermes is all way, once you've set up an account printing off and paying could not be easier, and I can drop the parcel off at the local shop between 7am-12pm, no queue. Never had any lost or late arrivals yet.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

FASTdan

posted on 9/12/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I cant seem to beat the post office for under 1kg. Over this some of the budget carriers start to become competitive but its not worth the hastle of mixing between the two. Between the post office and parcelforce services all my UK shipments can be dealt with in the same place.

The only time I use couriers at the moment is overseas above 2kg.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rf900rush

posted on 9/12/13 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have used interparcel as well

Some of these offer drop off points locally

save waiting in for collections

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 9/12/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Royal Mail have revised some of their prices but still very expensive.

I use MyHermes more and more, print a page, stick it on the box, drop it off, quicker than waiting in the PO queue.

I have had problems with their delivery drivers trying to deliver to businesses outside business hours, but always got there.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oddified

posted on 9/12/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

Agreed, but even for the uk 2kg seems to be the line where below that the post office is ok, and over it's normally cheaper to use a courier/parcel2go etc.

Ian

bi22le

posted on 9/12/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Supprised to hear any positive stuff about royal mail.

I am an outspoken RM hater, Ill argue my case with anyone.

I use parcelmonkey.

Their basic charge is 7.99 IIRC which covers quite a large object and heavy weight. They will collect from you for no additional charge. I just take the item to work and leave it with my workshop so they deal with it.

I understand RM will be best for smaller or lighter objects, they have their uses. I work and have no time for queuing.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Proby

posted on 9/12/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
MyHermes is great as long as its nothing breakable. The wife sends 12-20 parcels a day through MyHermes for her business, but after a couple of incidents of damage, we are very very careful of what gets sent with them.

Royal Mail gets used for some SMALL class parcels, as its cheaper (£3).

Visit GraphicMonster

Peteff

posted on 9/12/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Proby
MyHermes is great as long as its nothing breakable.

They managed to mangle my spraygun so it doesn't have to be that fragile Also it arrived at 18.30hrs delivered by a bloke in a Daewoo Matiz so don't send anything you want delivered in work hours.

[Edited on 9/12/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mark chandler

posted on 9/12/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Post office is cheap if it will fit in the letter box, larger and use a carrier
Scuzzle

posted on 9/12/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
MyHermes or Collect+ are two of the cheapest around. The Royal Mail are always shooting themselves in the foot, they go on strike and businesses and individuals use other couriers, find out it's cheaper and easier and never go back.

The parcel pricing at the Post Office is crazy, I sent a speedo head in a small box which never weighed much to the USA for £3.50 yet a cylinder head gasket in a flat packet that weighs nothing either was £7 to a UK lowlands address.

FASTdan

posted on 10/12/13 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

Agreed, but even for the uk 2kg seems to be the line where below that the post office is ok, and over it's normally cheaper to use a courier/parcel2go etc.

Ian

Over 2kg I change to using parcelforce via the paypal application - there is quite a significant discount here for some reason (without this it would definitely be expensive). Costs me about £17 to send 5-7kg boxes insured up to £300. Its a little more pricey than PM (cost around £14 with insurances and VAT on here) but because Im dropping at the post office every day it is more convenient than waiting for a courier (ties me down, cant go out to collect things etc) or going to another drop off location.

I will also say I would never ever ever recommend P2G - I had the most horrific customer support case ever with them. They are nothing short of useless. PM seem good - very on the ball with support.

In regard to queuing at the PO - the drop and go card eliminates that. I'm in and out in a minute.

[Edited on 10/12/13 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.