Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fluid for fuel pump test rig
FASTdan

posted on 14/5/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Fluid for fuel pump test rig

I am looking to set up a test rig for both fuel pumps and carburettors. Can anyone suggest a 'friendly' medium to use as the fluid (really do not want to be playing with fuel) that will provide some lubrication (assume water will kill a fuel pump reasonably quickly, especially if stood unused) but isn't horrible to work with.

My only thought so far is cutting tool coolant/lubricant?

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mookaloid

posted on 14/5/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I imagine that any test liquid will need to have exactly the same characteristics as petrol for the tests to be meaningful.

The best stuff to use would therefore probably be petrol........

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/5/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
diesel would be safer, but i have no idea if petrol pumps/injectors etc are compatible and if the viscosity would be an issue.

mcerd1

posted on 14/5/14 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
these guys say they are using 'safety clean solution' (spelling?) what ever that is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYec40tugsQ

-

coyoteboy

posted on 14/5/14 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you want flow rates to be representative you're going to need to use the same material or one damned close. Would it be easier to quench the area with CO2 and good ventillation?

mark chandler

posted on 14/5/14 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
When I was playing around at this checking some old injectors had a decent spray pattern I used cellulose thinners.

I cobbled up an adjustable FPR by welding a bolt into a standard one so I could vary the load on the spring, pointed the injector into a big pickle jar and used a battery charger with only one diode to pulse the injector and run the pump.

After 15 minutes at 4bar I had some pretty tired spray patterns and flow rates vastly improved, I guess the thinners also cleaned everything up.

Flow rates do not matter as much as getting the injectors all running the same, provided you start with something that should be correct in the first instance.

I also knew someone who filled their car with diesel and drove until it conked out, once the fuel was replaced she said it had never ran so fast so maybe diesel is the way forward?

Regards Mark

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 14/5/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dan, why not try some Fusous oil, probably spelt it wrong. We use this to protect engines that were being laid up. Run to engine on it until all the pipes were charged, then stop the engine. It is a fine oil, that will burn, but it will take a lot more than a match/spark and has lubricating qualities.
Kdempsie

posted on 14/5/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
The fluid used to test forecourt petrol pumps is called ISOPAR L. it is used because it has a higher flash point than petrol, not sure if you can buy it in small amounts though.

Regards,

Keith.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/5/14 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

After 15 minutes at 4bar I had some pretty tired spray patterns and flow rates vastly improved, I guess the thinners also cleaned everything up.

Or the injector internals worn now due to lack of lubricity and sealing surface damage along with cleaning the nozzle

DW100

posted on 15/5/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
What are you aiming to do in the test?

A lot of industry testing is done with white spirit (Also known as Stoddard solvent in the US). Can't say how much safer it is though.

owelly

posted on 15/5/14 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
We use Mineral Colza oil to set injectors and pumps on diesel sets. Istr it being suitable for petrol pumps and injectors too.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 15/5/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mineral Colza oil, havent heard of that for a long time. We used it in the oil lamps down the pits...............
coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
That's rapeseed oil, would seem a bit viscous for petrol?

The Black Flash

posted on 21/5/14 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
When I was at the rolling road, the guy put the injectors on the test rig. I asked him what they used, and it was a hydrocarbon solution specifically for testing, but I've not been able to find it on google.
White spirit will definately be safer than petrol as it doesn't flash nearly as easily, or burn as quickly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.