Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet bump stops
Slimy38

posted on 27/4/24 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet bump stops

On my Healey body I have the body tub and the bonnet as separate pieces. The body tub has a 'lip' about an inch deep, that the bonnet sits on when closed. However, the mould isn't overly even, neither is the thickness of the bonnet. At the minimum there's a 3mm gap, at the widest it's up to 8mm.

I need to align the surface of the body and bonnet, as well as giving the bonnet a rubber surface to sit on. I was going to use different thicknesses of rubber, but it occurred to me that tin tops often have adjustable 'screw' type rubber bungs for boot lids and tailgates. To tighten or loosen them they can be twisted and the 'thread' of the rubber winds it in and out.

I think they would suit my needs perfectly, but as always with Google you have to know the name of the them before you can find them. So does anyone know what they would be called?

gremlin1234

posted on 27/4/24 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet cone rubbers

ref: the part for triumph herald spitfire etc goes into a circle on the bonnet / body, locates, and sets hight as well.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-612962

Partofthechaos

posted on 29/4/24 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a friendly scrap yard near by a quick walk would provide you with a lot of different options. I've kept the ones from my donor car as they looked so useful. Not found a home for them yet though...
stevebubs

posted on 29/4/24 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about using furniture feet upside down? Finding a screw-in rubber foot should be relatively cheap and trivial...

Sylva Fury

Slimy38

posted on 29/4/24 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Have you thought about using furniture feet upside down? Finding a screw-in rubber foot should be relatively cheap and trivial...

Hmm, interesting idea. I did manage to find the things that I was after;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225952122389

Although buying them new is going to be expensive, but that's where a visit to the scrap yard would work!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.