Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: broadband
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
broadband

need to find a new broadband provider

i have had a look at this evolution broadband link above, is chris envolved with them or are they just sponsers

recomendations anyone, i have used pipex before but apparantly they only provide a 1 meg connection in this area, and i have a 2meg now with BT

just checked this out and apparantly BT also think i can only recieve 1 meg?? weird

[Edited on 6/12/05 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Russ-Turner

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
AOL Broadband and range of services is good but the customer service is appaling. Basic BB is £17.99 per month with no download limits.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oliver Coles

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Try NTL Broardband,

Its run our computers with no problem.

Only 16 and i have already had my midlife crisis

britishtrident

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had a a similar experience it the line tester provided by BT applet that every provide uses hasn't been updated. My inderstanding is anyone who had 512 working with the original ADSL roll out should be OK on 2meg Just order and see what happens.

One thing that can improve you chances of working at a higher speed especially if you live in house with older telephone wiring is to fit a filtered face plate to the house master socket and seperate ADSL and voice where they come into the house rather than fit filters to the voice extensions see

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

tks

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
yeah

what also helps an really lot is..

an sepparate program on you pc wich limits your downloading speed..

because this will smooth your internet speed out..and will take away work from the limiting server of your ISP...

the problem is that that pc needs to cut thousands of pc's and that results in an to big off time wich means lost speed

Tks

if any tech talk is needed i will hear

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

flak monkey

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
www.adsl4less.com

Been with them for the past 2 years. Never had any problems really, compared to other people I know who are on AOL, NTL, BT etc etc/

They are also fcuking cheap! 2mb broadband for £11.99/month.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

phoenix70

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to contradict you, but it isn't the case if you recieve 512K ADSL, you can get 2Mb. It is all to do with how far you are away from your local exchange, the further you are away, the slower the ADSL is. I'm on the upper limit of the distance (which is 5 or 6 Km) and although my ISP (Demon) recently upgraded all their Home customers to 2Mb, my line is only stable at 1Mb, so thats what I got.

The ADSL Checker from BT. isn't always accurate, but it is mainly due to the fact, that when you are out at the limits of the ADSL range, it is difficult for the checker to accurately measure your line length , and sometimes with a little fiddling, and maybe re-routing of your line they can get higher speeds out of it. If your within 4km of your exchange, they can all but guarantee you can get 2mb. If your between 4 and 6km you will get a speed between 512, 1Mb or 2Mb, and it will depend on the results of the 'whoosh' test that checks the noise on your line.

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I had a a similar experience it the line tester provided by BT applet that every provide uses hasn't been updated. My inderstanding is anyone who had 512 working with the original ADSL roll out should be OK on 2meg Just order and see what happens.

One thing that can improve you chances of working at a higher speed especially if you live in house with older telephone wiring is to fit a filtered face plate to the house master socket and seperate ADSL and voice where they come into the house rather than fit filters to the voice extensions see

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

[Edited on 6/12/05 by phoenix70]

daz

posted on 7/12/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
dunno if it helps but AOL basically paid NTL to let them use their lines/servers blah blah, and since AOL just takes to your PC like flys round dog dirt NTL is the one to go for over the 2 of them, but im sure someone else on here can suggest a better one than NTL (tho i use NTL and have had no problems and been using it for over 2 years)
Gav

posted on 7/12/05 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
have a look at www.adslguide.co.uk i used to be with eclispe and they are by far the best for customer service and i have used quite a few suppliers.
andyd

posted on 7/12/05 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Not seen the .co.uk one but here's another guide site which I've used to good effect http://www.adslguide.org.uk/. You can pick a number of different providers and compare them based on the test results of their users doing speed tests and rating them.

FWIW, I'm with Freedom2Surf and they usually come out on top as far as speed is concerned. Customer service is pretty good too having needed to query a billing issue not so long ago. They get my vote and aren't too bad on price if you choose one of the limited download packages.

Andy

trifield

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have been with www.e7even.com for over a year now. Very good service and extremely competitive pricing but to get it you pay in advance. 1meg currently equivalent to £13 / month. Worth a look as they often run special offers like free set up and modems.

britishtrident

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
Sorry to contradict you, but it isn't the case if you recieve 512K ADSL, you can get 2Mb.
snip
[Edited on 6/12/05 by phoenix70]

That isn't what I said ---
"512 with the original ADSL roll out"
On the original 512 ADSL roll out the distance limits were pretty low.

[Edited on 7/12/05 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
AOL isn't really an ISP more like a nasty hijack of your computer. Best to stick to a plain vanilla ISPS that stick to industry standards and don't bombard you with screenfuls of clutter.
britishtrident

posted on 7/12/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
----- Rescued attachment nopopups1.jpg
Rescued attachment nopopups1.jpg

andyd

posted on 7/12/05 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I took out Bulldog as they were low speed compared to the others and replaced with Freedom2Surf. Looks like it'd be a toss up between them and Zen. Rescued attachment Image1.jpg
Rescued attachment Image1.jpg

Andy

craig1410

posted on 8/12/05 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd fully recommend Zen Internet. They cost a bit more but it is money well spent if you use your broadband a lot. They have also just won the PC Pro ISP award again this year. They have no plans to introduce the throttling or capping which other ISP's have recently introduced so you get 100% of what you pay for.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
www.adsl4less.com

Been with them for the past 2 years. Never had any problems really, compared to other people I know who are on AOL, NTL, BT etc etc/

They are also fcuking cheap! 2mb broadband for £11.99/month.

Cheers,
David

Do you have a download limit??

I am with bt 2Mb 20Gb download limit, but the dont charge if you go over this by alittle bit, just send a leeter advising you of a different package

Its if you dont change then they charge £1 per gb you go over

I am actually conecting at 2.2Mbps though

flak monkey

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
On the £12 package there is a download limit of 2Gb per month, which is enough for most people who just surf the net (It works out at around 4 hours per day). Each extra Gb is £1.75.

The unlimited download (and I mean unlimited, we had over 200Gb one month) service at 2Mb is £35 and 1Mb is £25.

No contract on any of their services.

We are on 1Mb here and are getting 1.1Mb

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.