Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2003 R1: Engine cradle almost fits?
JoaoCaldeira

posted on 20/4/06 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
2003 R1: Engine cradle almost fits?

Hi.

Anyone got fitting problems with their engine cradle?
On the right side of the car (bottom engine mounts side) I had to cut 2mm from the base of the cradle - to lower the engine - and even so I'll have to cut at least another 3mm so the bolts got leveled...
Anyone suffered from this?

Joao

Agriv8

posted on 20/4/06 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Joao,

Post up some pictres up from above ( showing engine and cradle and chassis ).

one from front and

one from the side ( drivers side as you are left hand drive ) showing the top rail of the cradle

Dont cut any more of yet till you have sent the Photos.

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 20/4/06 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

GregMcN

posted on 20/4/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same engine as you and we had lots of problems fitting it. Nobody was aware that the mounts on the 5PW engine were different from those of both the earlier carb engines and the later injected ones and consequently after trying 3 different cradles without success I was getting a bit frustrated and wondering what I was doing wrong! Luckily I am not too far from Harrogate so Marc & Chris came over worked out what the problem was and we had to return the chassis to get the mounts changed and Marc sorted out a new cradle design which fits OK. I thought this happened before you got your chassis but Chris/Marc would have to confirm.

Regards Greg

marc n

posted on 21/4/06 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
hi joao

the cradles are done to take the standard m10 bolts with an m12 boss so if you have used m12 then that is where the couple of mill came in, i had you engine fitted with m10s when i did the steering linkage and rack placement and had no probs

p.s we have had some problems due to a new jig for cradles / new chassis detail changes hopefully nearly sorted now
best regards

marc

[Edited on 21/4/06 by marc n]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.