Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TIGHT FIT!!! fitting the engine...HELP!!!
Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
TIGHT FIT!!! fitting the engine...HELP!!!

Anyone else got a car engine in there vortx! Mines a very tight fit and one big problem......

...i linked the gear box, bellhousing, engine up with the clutch and what have ya, and tried to lower into place- after about a hour we figured this was impossible due to over all lenght being to big! even with the front of the car jacked up !

So i decided to still test fit the engine and gear box but seperate, First the gear box was in place as far in as i could put it...

AS you can see its squeezed right in there!!!

then i lowered (or tried) to lower the engine into place, as you can see with the flywheel touching the bellhousing, the altternator rubs the chassis, the pullys do and it just doesnt go!

what should i do??

[Edited on 7/5/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

chockymonster

posted on 7/5/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from fit a bike engine?

Would you have any more room to fiddle about if you took the alternator off?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 7/5/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with chocky take off the alternator and bracket, whats stoping box going back a tad more???
numnuts

posted on 7/5/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have fitted zetec to mnr chassis i found that the alternator you have will not fit and you will need small denso type i fitted one from a toyota corolla. Have you also checked the steering shaft misses the oil filter as again mine did not and i had to fit a filter from MR2 as this again is narrower and should give clearance .
G.Man

posted on 7/5/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Remove the alternator and bracket, remove the rear engine mount which isnt gonna be used...

May have to remove the front pulley as well to give you jiggling room...

Once they are removed the engine will fit back in the gearbox and you can replace the pulley, and then find a denso alternator which will fit...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well before i had a chance to come back on here i got it fitted together but with no clutch at least its in the hole, its still far to tight, the whole thing needs to go on a diet i recon!

quote:
Apart from fit a bike engine?

if only i had known this earlier about all the probs ive had i would off!

quote:
Agree with chocky take off the alternator and bracket, whats stoping box going back a tad more???

the box is jammed solid in the tunnel as far back as possible!

quote:
Hi i have fitted zetec to mnr chassis i found that the alternator you have will not fit and you will need small denso type i fitted one from a toyota corolla. Have you also checked the steering shaft misses the oil filter as again mine did not and i had to fit a filter from MR2 as this again is narrower and should give clearance .

sorry but after being ripped off and paying £120 for this one i think id rather make it fit i may try and relocate to the other side, i have had it they before! the alternator is not the main problem!

and yea thats just the old one, ive got a relocation kit to remote mount it!

cheers for you help, you have u2u!

quote:
Remove the alternator and bracket, remove the rear engine mount which isnt gonna be used...

May have to remove the front pulley as well to give you jiggling room...

Once they are removed the engine will fit back in the gearbox and you can replace the pulley, and then find a denso alternator which will fit...

cheers good idea but, removing them will not give me much room to locate the clutch as the crank pully is catching- i might as well rebuild the engine in the engine bay, and i can afford to change alternator now i will just live with the 2mm clearance ive got now its fitted!

just to get this hydrulic clutch fitted, i need the spacer machined down, but i dont know how im supposed to measure and find out how much!

[Edited on 7/5/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Agriv8

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tight fit Nah try getting a v8 in there.

I am running a small jap unit from a honda

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
ha ha

jamesg20

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
kris,
you are going to need more than 2mm clearance even on the most solid of mounted engines as they do move around a bit under load... as does the gearbox i'm afraid.. if it's banging / wedged in you're asking for problems.
Sorry to be pesimistic... unfortunately i'm speaking from experience

marc n

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
looks like im making a trip oop north sometime , engine needs to be lower in chassis and sump modded not other way round otherwise you have the weight distribution of a dumper truck !!!!
will have a look to see if i tiook some pics of when it was all mounted up to help and try and sort out an evening to come up to help you ( probably cost me some diy at home mind )

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 10/5/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
looks like im making a trip oop north sometime , engine needs to be lower in chassis and sump modded not other way round otherwise you have the weight distribution of a dumper truck !!!!
will have a look to see if i tiook some pics of when it was all mounted up to help and try and sort out an evening to come up to help you ( probably cost me some diy at home mind )

You sound so disappointed about that idea!
I'm sure Mrs MNR will be overjoyed too

Krismc

posted on 10/5/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
kris,
you are going to need more than 2mm clearance even on the most solid of mounted engines as they do move around a bit under load... as does the gearbox i'm afraid.. if it's banging / wedged in you're asking for problems.
Sorry to be pesimistic... unfortunately i'm speaking from experience

Oh right, so i might be better of removing the aluminium tunnel panels and putting them on the other side then? be ok in passenger side but will be very awkward in the drivers footwell, its already very tight!! yea the alternator and the gear box would bang about as they are!

And it may be a simple fix, im just not experienced at this sort of thing, marcs had it fitted so it must go in!!!

quote:

ha ha i owe my lass a lot of DIY!, And yea with the original mounts it sat nice and low! and now its a little high??

I wish i could get the car down to you, for you to have a quick look at! pitty your not just round the corner!

[Edited on 10/5/06 by Krismc]

[Edited on 10/5/06 by Krismc]

RogerL

posted on 11/5/06 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
Can the frame be modified to more space for Zetec ?

I am building Zetec powered RT+, so am interested in your problem.
Do you think some of the frame members could
be modified to make more room for the engine?
Could the transmission tunnel area be modified so that the transmission could be moved further to the rear.
Always better to have the engine further back
to the rear.

Hope Marc has some good ideas.

Krismc

posted on 11/5/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
there is definatly room to move it back if i remove the ali panels, but i need advice before doing this!

And im sure marc will come up with a idea or 2

marc n

posted on 11/5/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
chris going to come up on tuesday night if thats ok, should be with you at 5 / 5-30pm and we will remount it at its original height plus adding the rubber strip for anti vibration, then whilst im there i will take mesurements for the sump mods inc pickup pipe

best regards

marc

was going to do your throttle body manifold this eve but i have broken the tube bender and wont be up and running again till tomorrow late afternoon

[Edited on 11/5/06 by marc n]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Krismc

posted on 12/5/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote

that would be brilliant but only if you are sure, I hate to put you out! ive been asking around all day to see if i can get a trailer and car to borrow as well!

.....another reason i bought a MNR- brilliant customer service!

Hope you get the mandral working again, you will be lost without it!!!

[Edited on 12/5/06 by Krismc]

[Edited on 12/5/06 by Krismc]

marc n

posted on 12/5/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
no worries at all mate, all part of the service, want as many cars on the road asap for our group thrashes , may even get my own done

tube bender now sorted, wiring problem so alls good and rosey

marc n

posted on 12/5/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
havent told the engineer that who drove 7 1/2 hours to fix it though

great customer service from multiform

Krismc

posted on 12/5/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
oh well at least its sorted!

roadboy

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec fit

Hi ,
I have a nearly complete VortX with a Zetec fitted, I have a garage in Blaydon if you want to come to view the fitment. I will happily give any advise & help I can.
We will be at work today from 10.30 till around 3. You can call on 0191 4147900 or 07721 578208.
Cheers
Ian

Krismc

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
well ive removed all the obstructions as pointed out by marc and iain!!!!

theroretically it will fit into the space now but .........

and from the other side

Krismc

posted on 21/5/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
you may think the sump is in the way, so ive removed it and give it another go, its a little further into the engine bay but no luck still!!!

But even if it did go with the sump removed that would be stupid, because i would have to drain oil and remove sump just to change clutch for example

here is pics with sump removed...

smart51

posted on 21/5/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
how difficult would it be to unbold the gear box, rest it in the right place, put the engine in and then bolt to two together.

maybe not easy but perhaps not as hard as putting them in together.

Krismc

posted on 21/5/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
tried that ...they isnt enough room to lower the engine past the bellhousing!!

tried for the second time with the tunnel removed

Well it ended up being a 2 man job, scottc was in the area and willing to lend a hand- so we split the engine and fitted gear box first then engine-- it was very tight and took a lot off forcing past chassis rails to squeeze in, with a mm spare!!

here are a few pictures and i still need conformation that this will be ok fitted like this!!

1) the gear box shaft comes out over 1inch higher than where the height the diff flange is at (so prop will be on a angle)

2) the gear box mount is right on the edge, will this be ok??

3) the alternator is only a few mm from the rail!

4) and how do i know the engine is level in all axis and shafts are pointing perfect???

5) Gear stick side of box is very near the rails, will this rubbing cause damage??

gear box mount

driver side mount

passenger side mount

alternator clearance

gear stick clearance

[Edited on 21/5/06 by Krismc]

[Edited on 21/5/06 by Krismc]

marc n

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
so is it in ????

think gearbox mount may be a tad too tall, could make you a lowering brkt, also machined you clutch adapter yesterday, but the manifold plate has not arrived yet

best regards

marc

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.