Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Portable Air Con Units
Avoneer

posted on 14/7/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Portable Air Con Units

Are the ones around £200 any good?

I have heard they will be a bit noisy, but apart from that ???

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 14/7/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
used 1 before,get a bigger one specefied for your room size,they create a lot of condensation,they are very nice in summer

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

fesycresy

posted on 14/7/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
They are rubbish and pretty ineffective for other than a small room. The evaporator and condenser is contained in the same box, thus the heat must be dumped through a 4" flexi. This flexi must be kept as short as possible as it gets very warm and puts heat back into the room.

I don't sell them anymore, only keep half a dozen for lending to customers if a computer room goes down etc.

I tell people to go to B&Q, if they really want one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

irvined

posted on 16/7/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've used these a lot at my last employer, basically, they suck.

As outlined the problem is the heat they produce, basically they vent cold air out one side, and about twice as much hot air out the other end. If you can mount it right next to a window, and vent the hot air out through a very short and straight pipe, then they work fairly well in a small room.

You can get some which have split systems fairly cheap now, these in theory should be a good bit better, ymmv.

If you just want to cool down a small room, and have somewhere to vent the hot air to, then your probably good to go, but don't use them in your server room unless its an absolute emergency, they are no substitute for a professional air conditioner.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

dilley

posted on 16/7/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have one at home in the bedroom, the room is 3.5mx5.8m, its 12000 btu's, and works really well, its a portable 1 with a 4" hose yo hang out the window, I bought it from Homebase for £350, it will maintain a room temp of 16 degrees no trouble.
Noodle

posted on 16/7/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have an industrial portable on my landing in summer. There's a double-pipe and fan-box that sits on the garage roof blowing the condensation away.

It pours moisture all over the garage roof that it sucks from the humidity inside.

Kids stand in front of it in this weather and howl with laughter, blowing their shirts up like the Michelin man.

Takes the heat out of upstairs when they all go to bed and keeps them all happy-chappies.

Well worth the £0 it cost me.

Neil.

p.s. Had my bus air-con recharged yesterday for £30.

Your sort make me sick

Minicooper

posted on 17/7/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
My Amcor unit works brilliantly if the aim is to cool a medium large size room
£199 from Robert Dyas

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.