Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: battery type?
jabbahutt

posted on 10/4/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
battery type?

Afternoon

Geting reading to start up the car for the first time and need to source a battery.

Mk Indy, 2.0 pinto engine with standard starter motor and nippon denso alternator off a Micra. No fancy add ons just lights and usual dash board bits.

What sort of amp rating should I be looking for when buying a battery? if that's the correct thing to look for. Haven't got much of a clue when it comes to electrics

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Nigel

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/4/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
You’ll never get any agreement on here.

Why not go to Halfords and get the same that was used on a 2ltr Sierra ? It all depends on if the engine is high compression or standard and if you want enough for turning it over a bit in the cold weather.

Personally I'd look at around 40 amp/hrs and the size space you have to put it. Others will be more bothered about weight. Try and get one that is sealed for life and has a battery condition indicator.

[Edited on 10/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 10/4/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you're going for standard lead-acid battery, then I would go for smallest and lightest Halfords do (which are not all that small actually) 35AH (measure of capacity - how much you can store in the battery )is probably the minimum. As long as your engine starts reasonably easily so you don't have to crank for hours, and as long as you don't have masses of electrical gear that will drain battery when idling or at night then capacity isn't really an issue.

You will also find a CCA figure (cold cranking amps) quoted - usually 300 - 400 Amps. This is a measure of how fast you can get the current out of the battery and this might be important if you have 8 cylinder high-compression head.

However, for normal mortals, go for minimum size and weight.

[Edited on 10/4/07 by Macbeast]

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/4/07 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
here a link to ford sizes

http://www.tayna.co.uk/catalog/238/0/Car-Battery-by-Vehicle-Ford-page1.html

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 10/4/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Or for the smaller, lighter applications ....

Link

or my favorite

Link

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Hellfire

posted on 10/4/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Get the one the battery tray (assuming it's an MK one) was designed for. This one is a 069 type...

Steve

auzziejim

posted on 10/4/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
i got one from a fiesta diesel i think it was 9" across and 71AH turns over damn easy and always has a strong spark
DRC INDY 7

posted on 10/4/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have just got the battery for the sierra it fits into the moulded battery tray as supplied by mk its 43ah 300amps type 085 banner battery from leisureways in rotherham

[Edited on 4/10/2007 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

02GF74

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
how much are you willing to spend?

people have use a lawn mower or even large motor bike batteries .

or agel battery - see my post about the odyssey off a man on ebay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.