Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ryobi SDS drills any good?
James

posted on 27/4/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ryobi SDS drills any good?

I'm gonna look like an ungrateful git with this... but anyway.

I always believe it's sensible to buy the best tools you can afford... you'll do a better job, it's often easier to do the job, and they're less likely to let you down at 5pm on a Sunday afternoon!

For ages and ages I've really wanted a nice DeWalt drill for doing DIY jobs. Always been impressed with the quality and 'feel'.

My parents kindly bought me a Ryobi SDS Hammer drill yesterday for my birthday.

I'm just a bit disappointed it wasn't the DeWalt though!
Is it worth me going through the process of looking like a right toerag to them and ask if I can change it? (I'll pay the difference!)

Or is Ryobi an acceptable make?

Not powered it up yet and the drill qualtiy feels ok... though I thought the blow moulded carry case gave the impression of Chinese made crap! And having an adjuster (Speed?) on the trigger is bloody stupid as it makes the trigger uncomfortable IMO.

So, basically, any knowledge about Ryobi and if they're any good?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

graememk

posted on 27/4/07 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
all my drils are Ryobi, and i love them, others will hate them no doubt but they arnt a cheap bit of gear though

btw happy birthday
!!

richardR1

posted on 27/4/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Nowt wrong with Ryobi. Use Bosch personally but know a lot of guys who have the Ryobi stuff. Dewalt isn't anything special, just seems everyone got carried away with it after Handy Andy appeared on the telly using it.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

andyharding

posted on 27/4/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have both a Makita and Ryobi 18v cordless hammer drill. The quality of the Makita is better no doubt but it isn't as heavy duty as the Ryobi.

On flip side I have a Ryobi cordless circular saw and jigsaw and I'm not that impressed.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

andy o

posted on 27/4/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
used ryobi stuff at last place i worked.gave it serious abuse and it never let anyone down.
big_wasa

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dewalt is a bit like Snap-On, Not what it used to be and not what its hyped up to be imho.

Ryobi's gear isnt bad though. Most of the big names cut corners these days.

blakep82

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
they make cracking chainsaws

I gather the rest of their stuff will also be good

I'd say Ryobi (although i've not noticed them around for long) are probably up there with the best.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rusty nuts

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
How about using it ? if it fails then replace it that way you won't upset them .
gazza285

posted on 27/4/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ryobi stuff is among the best. Don't forget that saying Dewalt is just a posh way of saying Black and Decker. Dewalt stuff looks good in the shop, but after six months they look terrible.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/4/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
my ryobi cordless' have lasted over a year of daily trade use, im very happy with them myself. My dewalt router however has blown a bush within 2 months of purchase. And my dewalt table saw needs a rewire.
hillbillyracer

posted on 27/4/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
My boss got sick of Bosch & Makita stuff not lasting in the workshop & one of his suppliers does Ryobi so we gave them a go. They're lasting every bit as well if not better & are much cheaper too.
His 9" grinder is Hitachi though & has been there longer that I have which is 15years!

numnuts

posted on 27/4/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
As all ready has said i would have Ryobi over Dewalt everytime .I have a ryobi that is over 5 years old and still works perfectly. I also have had 3 Dewalt drill in that time which have all failed .
procomp

posted on 5/5/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi got a workshop full of ryobi. Always reliable and the cordless gear is great brilliant batteries and comes with an inteligent charger.

Gave up on the dewalt equitment A few years ago.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 5/5/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
i should probably add that my dewalt 18V drill driver has also broken now, few months ago it got stuck in hammer mode, now the chuck has worn out and undoes itself when you unscrew something tight. Dewalt deffo look a bit shady now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.