Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Soloution to Grey dirty looking stainless exhausts/headers
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Soloution to Grey dirty looking stainless exhausts/headers

Looking through a lathe site I found this small idea

Bluing salts - there is little else that can impart a really professional look to a job than a carefully blued finish. I have tried a couple of the cold-bluing preparations on the market and, having been less than impressed with the result (never mind their toxicity), I have reverted to hot-bluing salts - which proved hard to find. After looking at the various recipes and concoctions listed in ‘Machinery’s Handbook’ and Angrier’s ‘Bluing of Firearms’, it would appear that ‘saltpetre’ is the stuff. Even better is the fact that it could probably be obtained from Boots or any good chemist; it gives the true "nitre-blue" finish that I crave but if you try it, please be under no illusion that in use, these molten salts are ten-times HOT and if spilled can burn you very seriously. This is a real leather-gauntlet and goggles’ operation.

What do you lads think? Could make the headers look better

Humbug

posted on 2/6/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
tinted glasses?
wilkingj

posted on 2/6/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
From memory Saltpetre is Potassium Nitrate.

Mix with equal parts of Sulphur and Charcoal, and hey presto.. you get gun (Black) powder

Shouldnt be too hard to get hold of.

Or just scrape off your neighbours brick walls and refine a little. Its the white powder you see on brick walls.

Most gun blues are for steel. Stainless has a high nickel content, not sure of it will work very well on that.

Most guns that were nickel or stainless parts were never blued, only the steel ones.

If its stainless pipes, just buff up with a polishing mop and some soap bar (polishing meduim) say from Shesto.com or similar.

Dont think this helps much.

[Edited on 2/6/2007 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Ive seen some very expensive bike cans done in stainless with this very finish so thats what has got me wondering.

It looks real nice so who's first to try it

Ivan

posted on 2/6/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
'n boer maak 'n plan - so if you're true to your roots go for it. We will be watching for the results.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote 'n boer maak 'n plan - so if you're true to your roots go for it. We will be watching for the results.

Ya Boet........ONS SAL MAAK A PLAN!

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/6/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
1) I don't think 'blueing' will work on stainless steel. That's why it's called stainless. None of the traditional gun blueing methods do anyway. (Ex-armourer).
2) Saltpetre, charcoal and sulphur do make black powder, but not when mixed in equal proportions.
3) Those pretty coloured bike cans are titanium not stainless.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
1) I don't think 'blueing' will work on stainless steel. That's why it's called stainless. None of the traditional gun blueing methods do anyway. (Ex-armourer).
2) Saltpetre, charcoal and sulphur do make black powder, but not when mixed in equal proportions.
3) Those pretty coloured bike cans are titanium not stainless.

just seen them in mags

Peteff

posted on 2/6/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Do what you want to them, first time they get hot they will change colour. They go a nice gold colour if they get to the right temperature, then they go purple and then they go brown. You can polish them back to stainless but they will still temper with heat.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scotmac

posted on 3/6/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ceramic coat them. I keeps the heat in (hp+), doesn't ruin your pipes like wrapping them does, and many ceramic coaters now have multiple interesting finishes. I like the chrome-like finish, for a fraction the cost of actual chroming.

-Scot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.