Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning my Avon...
Trems

posted on 16/2/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Planning my Avon...

First off hello to everyone!

Basically I am looking at building an Avon, the reason I chose the Avon started a few years back when I was looking at building my own car from scratch and after some research I came across Tiger. I was attracted by the simplicity, cost and flexibility of the Avon - I went to a Tiger track-demo day at Brunters', got the Avon build book and was all set to start the project except I ended up buying a house that needed so much work that I didnt have time for anything else!

Anyway, after 2 years the house is finished and I am just putting together my plans to get on and build the Avon.

I'm building it primarily for sprinting and trackdays and am going to be fabricating all the chassis, suspension etc from scratch, making it as light as possible, the engine will be a bike engine of some sort. My budget isnt massive but i'm, planning on taking my time.

What I'd like to ask is if anyone has any recommendations or wisdom they can share on shortcomings of the Avon design that I may need to consider while i'm planning?

Any help greatly appreciated, i'm also planning on documneting everything on my website so others can share my experiences good and bad. I've found a few sites out there with peoples build sotores but nothing really similar to what I want to do any recommended urls?

Also has anyone made thier Avon chassis from tube instead of box section?

Thanks in advance
-Paul

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
viatron

posted on 16/2/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
welcome to the mad house, the avon bodywork isnt the best but with perserverence it can be made to fit well, check out the forum at www.tigerownersclub.co.uk havent heard of a round tube avon but that doesnt meen tit hasnt been done!
The avons i have built and driven have all handled exceptionally once set up.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 16/2/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Start with the McSorley planes and not the Avon ones and build a Locost.

Been there, done an Avon and done a Locost and I wouldn't go near Tiger or anything Tiger related again with a barge pole.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

onzarob

posted on 16/2/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I started off thinking the Avon was he way to go, but now after reading tons of posts and getting the 'book'.I going to go down the locost route. there better support and the development of parts and fixes is so much better. There is even larger designs to accommodate engine and size of driver
Trems

posted on 18/2/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, i really appreciate your recommendations however i'm going to have to stick with the Avon, i've made alot of plans and the only parts i'm depending on from Tiger are the body panels and to that effect i have based my chassis design on (only mine will be lighter ) the Avons.

If it all goes tits up i will fully accept the 'i told you so's' but i'm a mechanical engineer in the racing industry so even if i get stuck myself i have plenty of resources to help out if the need arises!

I do have some questions for you guys though if anyone can help...

Basically i know very little about motorbikes and/or thier engines. I'm after as lightweight as possible nothing too powerful as i'm not trying to break any records, just build a toy that i can enjoy using at weekends and recreational track events. I'm thinking a fireblade simply because they seem to popular therefore plenty of bits out there and previous expereince using them....any advice? i've noticed there are a few different versions knocking about, also how much should a decent bike engine cost with everything it needs to drop in?

[Edited on 18/2/2008 by Trems]

[Edited on 18/2/2008 by Trems]

soggy 3

posted on 19/2/08 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look in the BEC section for the info you need its been discussed many times.

DaveFJ

posted on 19/2/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You will find a lot of bad press for Tiger on this site, My best advice is to take it with a pinch of salt and make your own mind up.

Beware, there are mistakes in the book dimensions - but if you are re-designing the chassis then it shouldn't give you any issues!
If you use round tube make sure you think carefully about where you need to mount stuff including where the bodywork will mount.. you may need to include some box section into your design...

why not post some diagrams of your chassis design? there are some very experienced people on here who can give some helpful advice. At least one builder on here has built there own Avon chassis - (can't remeber who - sorry)

As has been stated - the worst part of the Tiger kit is the bodywork, which you will be using, but if you take your time with it it will fit...

Main change I would make to the design is to widen the track at the front to match the rear. there were some posts on here a while back about this - search is your friend!

At the end of the day I chose the Avon based on looks and am very happy with my choice! and one day soon i might actually finish it!

Anyway - welcome! look forward to seeing piccies in the near future.

[Edited on 19-2-08 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Ian D

posted on 19/2/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I have just finished my Avon and got it on the road. I have enjoyed building it although at times I had to stop and think.

My body went on reasonably well but next winters project is to sort out the mould marks.

Have a look at the build diaries and pictures I found these invaluable. When I had problems Jim, Colin, et al at Tiger were very helpful.

As you are building your own chassis, Have alook to see if you can get another 50mm length in the cockpit. With the Intatrim seats Its just long enough.

Best of luck

Ian

DaveFJ

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian D
I have just finished my Avon and got it on the road. I have enjoyed building it although at times I had to stop and think.

My body went on reasonably well but next winters project is to sort out the mould marks.

Have a look at the build diaries and pictures I found these invaluable. When I had problems Jim, Colin, et al at Tiger were very helpful.

As you are building your own chassis, Have alook to see if you can get another 50mm length in the cockpit. With the Intatrim seats Its just long enough.

Best of luck

Ian

And maybe a few more cm's width around the pedals....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Avoneer

posted on 19/2/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
IMO, the Avon chassis is poor in design and could be a lot lighter.

The geometry is all wrong at the back, especially when going round corners and there is little triangulation behind the rear panel.

All this has been discussed many times before, as well as all the inaccurate measurements in the book.

The Locost is a far superior chassis both in design and weight.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

JacksAvon

posted on 19/2/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Avon

Large pinches of salt indeed.

Triangulation and geometry? Right!

Mine weighs 592 kilos soaking wet.

I have raced an Avon for the last three years. Sprinted it taken it on track days and used it as a track demonstration vehicle for Tiger at Donnington Park and Brands Hatch.

It has also been loaned to several 'S' class ARDS instructers to evaluate, all of whom were impressed and been driven by Bill Sollis who gave it rave reviews.

I have found Tiger to be helpful at all times, good down to earth people.

If you are looking at a round tube Avon, maybe copy some of the design ideas used in the Tiger R6 chassis

Trems

posted on 27/2/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys, 'Jacks' your Avon looks/sounds like my kind of car.

Chassis designs arent finished yet, i am basing the chassis on a tubular structure taking influence from both the R6 and the Avon design. I'm doing the Chassis in AutoCAD and when i've replaced the motherboard in my PC (currently using laptop with no software!) will post up some pics on my website of chassis designs (aplogies for the basic site - using an old copy of FPX!).

The round tube isnt a problem to fit the body work to but there will be more risk of cracking i guess. As far as weight goes from what i've read/seen in the Avon book i think most people should be able to get rid of 10 kilos or so if they went over the car stringently. I plan on doing everything with minimal weight in mind i rekon i'll get it below 550 inc driver with the bike engine.

I've also allowed a small budget extension for proper alloy calipers and separate rotor disk system as this saves a fair few kilos over the donor ford items and more importantly reduces the unsprung weight as i'm sure you will know.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again.

[Edited on 27/2/2008 by Trems]

t.j.

posted on 28/2/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building my own.

Not that it is really a book version.
But inspired by the book.

My cockpit is stretched by 100 mm
I recalculated the front, new uprights at the rear, taller top-rail due smal nose, more widht at my bottom 45cm instead of 40. straight upper rail 360 above lower instead off 340-320 etc etc.

Take care that the drawings in the book are not correct, you need to re-draw to see the mistakes.

I think if you respect the basic steering priciples the avon is not bad at all.

Grtz and good luck

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.