Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyless ignition.
coozer

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless ignition.

Anyone used, or know of a way to have a remote keyfob operated ingnition system.

Tons of keyless remote start systems on the bay, can you use them to switch the car on and off???

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nitram38

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a Cat II immobiliser with transponder fob. They cost about £45 on ebay and they isolate 2 circuits.
Make sure that you use a relay if the ignition circuit has any high loads.
You will need an off switch to stop the engine running and remove the feed from the unit to reset it.

[Edited on 24/3/2008 by nitram38]

Guinness

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Peter has a transponder on his key ring, and a corresponding receiver loop in the cockpit of the car. No steering lock / no ignition key, just jump in (with your keys in your pocket), sit down, press the start button. But that's obviously post sva

Something like this, with the loop under your seat?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=219349&doy=24m3#overview

Trouble with remote starts is ensuring it is in neutral when you hit the starter. No problem for us BEC boys, we can wire it through the Neutral light, but could be a problem for you

Have a look on ebay for motorbike alarms with remote start.

HTH

Mike

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 26/3/08 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
dont consider owt with nissan on it - they are WAYYYYYY technical linked to allsorts of bits in the car including radio etc... most new systems by law for insurance have similar set ups so it might be worth thinking about an early system or an alarm system - some have that kinda thing built in
britishtrident

posted on 26/3/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless remote start is highly illegal in the UK --- for pretty obvious safety reasons.

Transponder immobilises that won't allow the engine to start unless you are with in 6 feet or so are a different matter.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Dave Bailey

posted on 26/3/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is the Maplin transponder system not SVA friendly then? What does the system need to trigger the 30 second search. It states open a door....does this mean the trigger is current monitor on the interia light or is the transponder active all the time? Yep I have no door or interia light!

Dave B

iiyama

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have a keyless ignition on my car. Used an alarm/immobiliser from ebay. I have no steering lock either. Have been into SVA at southampton and the guy there told me that what I have will pass. It also has a remote start option on it.

Used this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-2008_W0QQitemZ200208522401QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25643QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI tem
very helpfull people. A friend of mine has bought one and fitted it to his Montecarlo.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

PaulBuz

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
I have a keyless ignition on my car. Used an alarm/immobiliser from ebay. I have no steering lock either. Have been into SVA at southampton and the guy there told me that what I have will pass. It also has a remote start option on it

I have just wired my car up the same .
But I was under the impression that you need 2 forms of immobilisation, one of which must be mechanical?

ATB
Paul

iiyama

posted on 26/3/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
According to SVA man at southampton what I have is enough. Must admit I thought two types were required, was going to fit an FIA kill switch and told him as much. This is when he said that what was fitted was enough. Suits me as there is no way the FIA switch will pass the radius tests so Ill fit it after SVA

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

brynhamlet

posted on 28/3/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
My car at SVA had no steering lock. With a bit of discussion there was two options. Key ignition and remove rotor arm. (Oh the joy of older car engines), or key ignition and removal of master fuse.
PaulBuz

posted on 30/3/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean they honestly believe that you will remove the bonnet & dismantle the distributor, every time you park!

ATB
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.